Question for MSU vet students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zuneski

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know that MSU's vet school uses live animals in several courses. Can any of you go into more depth about that? What types of things do you all do with the animals? Are terminal surgeries performed there? Have you (or others) ever felt uncomfortable with some of the things you have had to do?

(I have sent an e-mail to admissions asking about the use of live animals, but they have not responded yet.)

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated recently from MSU and can tell you that their animal use policies are changing drastically as we speak. I think when and if you matriculate there will be a LOT less live animal use (perhaps none) and you ALWAYS have the option to not participate if it involves live animals.

That being said, if you are not comfortable practicing (in both senses of the word) on live animals, the real world is going to be a rough wake up call. Once you get your DVM, you'll be doing your first blood draw, spay, splenectomy...on someone's best friend. You may have to do this without guidance or a someone to hold your hand, maybe even the day you graduate...

I graduated recently from MSU and can tell you that their animal use policies are changing drastically as we speak. I think when and if you matriculate there will be a LOT less live animal use (perhaps none) and you ALWAYS have the option to not participate if it involves live animals.

What about things like animal handling, palpation, practical skills(Blood drawing, clinical exam etc)? How can you possibly opt out of that kind of thing and still pass???

What about things like animal handling, palpation, practical skills(Blood drawing, clinical exam etc)? How can you possibly opt out of that kind of thing and still pass???

They have wetlabs where students bring their own pets. I was speaking more regarding junior surgery labs, although there are alternatives for simulating blood draw, CPR, with models. No one in my class objected. If you object to using a live animal to teach you how to do a physical examination, you should rethink what you want to do in life! :laugh:

That being said, if you are not comfortable practicing (in both senses of the word) on live animals, the real world is going to be a rough wake up call. Once you get your DVM, you'll be doing your first blood draw, spay, splenectomy...on someone's best friend. You may have to do this without guidance or a someone to hold your hand, maybe even the day you graduate...

Thank you for your response. I have actually been accepted. I understand that live animals will be needed for some educational purposes. But, if alternatives are offered, then I will probably choose to use those (especially if it involves discomfort/pain for the animal). And of course I'm comfortable working with animals in private practice. I just want to minimize animals being uncomfortable or suffering as I learn in my vet school classes.

This thread's old, but if it puts your mind at ease, MSU will discontinue terminal surgeries beginning this fall.

However, please read carefully over that contract that came with your acceptance letter before you sign it. In it, you are agreeing to work with live animals in the course context as presented to you. There will not be any alternatives offered, as far as I can tell, and by signing the document and accepting admission, you will be agreeing to a binding contract that says you will do what is asked of you.