question for NYCOM students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1max2nv

Registered ABUSER
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how you feel about your teachers....

meaning--are they really into teaching or do they seem like they're jus doing it for the money etc...

the reason y i ask is because i went to an undergrad school where the teachers were whack as hell..basically it was up to the student to learn 99% of the material...

also on avg what time do you usually get outta class everday and how many hrs do u put in studying weekdays n weekends

im trying to decide which school will work best for me

nsu or nycom

Members don't see this ad.

max;
im a 2nd yr at NYCOM, and I can comment on some of the things you asked about. First off, i would say it's about 70:30 good to bad teachers. some are so HORRIBLE, you cant even sit there, and some are really phenomenal, where you walk out understanding things that you had no concept of before. i would say most are accessible, though i'm not the type to go up and ask the prof a bunch of questions that are just as easy to look up. No matter where you go, you're going to need to put in time outside the classroom, but that amount is purely subjective. some of the smartest (gradeswise) people i know dont start studying until 2 weeks before exams. others study constantly. you'll find this out when you're in the flow of things. Class generally ends anywhere between 12 and 5, but i'd say around 3 is a good average for the week. If you have any other questions, you can PM me. good luck.

lar

I'm a first year at nycom. I agree with Larry. Most professors here are decent. Much of the first year material is so damn boring that no one on earth could make it exciting, but they give it their best. You'll suffer through this crap anywhere you go. I hear second year clinical profs are a bit more animated, and the material is also inherently more interesting...

If you're trying to decide on nycom vs nsu, I would take a serious look at the new attendance policy at Nova. I have a friend down there who was telling me about it and is hating it. They supposedly have to swipe an ID card before each lecture to prove they were there. Talk about being treated like children! There's no attendance at lectures at nycom... hell, they even tape the lecture and put it online for you to watch from home later if you'd like. Not bad.

I do have to admit though, the idea of 70 degrees sounds real nice about now...

Members don't see this ad :)
i would agree that the attendence thing is a real issue to consider, after talking with some nova students it sounds like a reall burden. i rarely get any work done before 11 am so it would be tourture to drag my butt in to school every morning. at NYCOM we have our manditory classes too, but then agien I watch a fair number of lectures via the web while siting in a cafe in the west village sipping coffee. I like the autonomy.

my 0.02 $U.S.

I am also a first year at NYCOM, and some things have changed from previous years. Anatomy is one of those classes that has changed a lot, and there isn't much teaching happeneing in it now. The philosophy of the anatomy department is that we learn best by teaching ourselves, therefore they really don't teach much. They will answer your questions, but you will have to learn most of the material on your own. There are some professors that really try hard to teach us but a couple of good professors don't make up for the lack of teaching and the overcrowding. Every class in NYCOM gives out notes, except for anatomy. They gave out notes in previous years, but they have stopped giving them out except for a few professors.
About ten percent of our class are physicians from other countries in a special program that allows them to become physicians here. In previous years, they didn't have to take the labs, but now they are required to take them, which brings me to my next point. Although the teaching hours have decreased from previous years, they make the anatomy tests harder so that they get their nice curve. Since the physicians have taken this course before, they do very well on the exams. They make the exams harder so that the curve stays the same as before. Most people did really bad on the last exam that we had. If you haven't taken anatomy before, you will most likely have problems with it at NYCOM.
On the other hand, Physiology is really good at NYCOM. The main professor is one of the best there are. He gives good notes and good lectures.
Overall, If I had to pick, I would go to Nova.

+pity+

I respectfully disagree. Ive never taken anatomy before and I'm doing fine, actually I'm learning alot and I will know my $h() cold when Im done. The course is hard, but thats the nature of anatomy. As for the physicians doing better than us thats not true. I have two physicians as lab partners and they are at the same level as me, one is actually not doing so hot. They just dont remember everything from med school 20 years ago. Teaching is awesome i think, they did reduce the amounts of notes they give us but you know why...so we read the book. Ive gotten the old notes its easy, (youve probably seen them too) and they are word for word whats in the book. So not having them is a non-issue. Over crowding is also a non-issue, the teachers are always accessible as is the lab, which is open from 7am-2am every day, and there are 6 students to a cadaver which is the norm. I can't comment on NOVA Ive never been there, but NYCOM rocks the casba..:horns:

NYCOM professors come in a wide variety...you have some good...some not so good...but they all know their stuff. AND they are all approachable. I agree with one of the previous posters that I am not the type to run up to the lecturer after every class to ask a billion questions...but, if I don't get it...I'm not shy. All professors will give out some sort of contact information- and if you are having that much trouble, we have other physicians on campus that can explain concepts...all you need to do is ask.

I, too, went to an undergrad where you basically taught yourself. I hated it...but, when I got to NYCOM, I found that being put in that situation really helped me all around because I didn't depend on being "spoon fed" like some of my classmates. Did I have to teach myself during some subjects? yes...others? no.
But that's how medical school works. Remember, nobody is going to be holding your hand all the way through your career preparation.

As mentioned before- we have access to our lectures in many ways:
- The majority of our lectures are taped and released.
These lectures are posted on our academic web site.
For those that still depend on VHS, the tapes are
available in the library, along with a few TVs and VCRs to
watch them on. If you don't have a computer but would
like to watch them online, you can use our computer lab
or check out a lap top to watch it from anywhere on
campus (being that we have a wireless network)
- For the classes that have notes...all notes and power
points are posted on our academic web site. (In addition
to receiving our notes in our individual mailboxes.)
- OR here's a thought...GO TO LECTURE AS IT'S BEING
GIVEN.

About anatomy at NYCOM...yes, they changed their policies. But, anatomy is anatomy- you either know it or don't. There is little understanding when it comes to anatomy. It's just structure and function and MEMORIZATION. Some things that the previous posters failed to mention is that a lot of the learning of anatomy takes place in the anatomy lab...and we have TONS of help in anatomy lab. We have the following provided to us:

- Anatomy Fellows. Those of you who don't know what an anatomy fellow is....it's a program that you can apply for during your second year of school. Students chosen to participate in the program (usually 3 students per year) spend one extra year at NYCOM to teach and research. In return, these students get their last three years of NYCOM tuition paid for...not bad, huh? This is a competitve position in which a student must prove that the have excelled in the subject of anatomy, have excellent teaching skills and are academically strong. These fellows will hold review sessions, help out with mock practicals that are fundraisers held by several clubs on campus....basically, they are there to make sure that you are getting help. They are present during each lab. They are a GREAT resource since they help pin structures for the lab practicals...hint hint...

-Anatomy Teaching Assistants. In your second year of medical school, students can donate their time by helping out during first year anatomy labs. I know that many of these second years have held their own review sessions and many of them are anatomy tutors as well. There is a selection criteria for these TAs...After all, the bulk of the fellow applicants come from this TA group...so, they work VERY hard.

-The Anatomy Department. The anatomy department is always there to help. I, personally, got sick last year a week before our hardest exam (head and neck)...I was sure that I would fail the exam. I talked to the head of the department and he came in on a Sunday and went through everything for all of the students that were studying in the lab. Needless to say...I did a lot better than expected.

-About Anatomy notes. Yes, it is unfortunate that they are not provided for you. However, we do have a big brother/big sister program in which I know of many of my classmates have handed down our notes. Also, the book that is required for the class is EXCELLENT...it's interesting and VERY informative. Although I had anatomy notes, I still read that whole book...

-Anatomy has become a little more bearable this year since they have restructured the course. In my year, ALL of anatomy was covered from August to December. Now, to promote a better understanding of anatomy, the course is stretched and is now covered from August-April-ish (I don't know of the exact date).

Almost everything I said above about anatomy (besides not having our notes) goes for the OMM department too...except, there are 9 fellows chosen per year.

I think that's all I have to say...first year is dry...but second year is a lot more interesting and makes you feel like you are actually going to be a doctor (not that you are in some PHD or graduate program)

If you have any questins, feel free to pm me.

-SexyEgptnDr

Where do most NYCOM students live? I've heard that Long Island is really expensive. How much do students typically pay per month?

Im paying 600ish and I share the apartment. it ranges wildly from 400 to 1000/month. I highly recommend using a real estate agent, and/or looking at the message board.

Originally posted by Cowboy DO
Im paying 600ish and I share the apartment. it ranges wildly from 400 to 1000/month. I highly recommend using a real estate agent, and/or looking at the message board.

Can you provide the link to the message board?

The link and your password will be provided to you by Elizabeth Doran once she has confirmation that you are an accepted student. You can email her at [email protected].

Good Luck.

let me know if she acutally emails it to u..i asked admisssions for it before and they said i'd only get access to it after my 2nd or 3rd payment for tuition deposit

They may not give you the password for awhile, as there wont be much activity in the housing area of the webboard until May/June at the earliest. There's only 17 listings on there right now, but when the academic year starts to wind down and upperclassmen start to move, especially after boards in early June, there will literally be 150+ listings for available apartments, houses, roommates needed, etc.

Dont freak out if it's may and you dont have housing yet. It'll be hard to find anything that far in advance. I started looking for housing the last week of July and found it quickly on the webboard when I started a few years ago...

I found housing a week into school. Finding housing for the first year is a big pain.