Question for Ohio State students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adriann

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to Ohio State and will start dental school there in the fall. I'm not from Ohio, so I'm not really familiar with Columbus at all. My fiance and I are looking to buy a house or a condo, but I'm having problems searching for places online because I'm not sure what are good areas in Columbus to look for. I would like an area somewhat close to campus but also in a good part of town. If anyone has any suggestions, I would very much appreciate it!

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Upper Arlington and Grandview Heights are within 5 miles of OSU. Both of them are pretty nice.

The area immediatly surrounding OSU is pretty crappy, IMO, but that is where most people live.

adriann said:
I've been accepted to Ohio State and will start dental school there in the fall. I'm not from Ohio, so I'm not really familiar with Columbus at all. My fiance and I are looking to buy a house or a condo, but I'm having problems searching for places online because I'm not sure what are good areas in Columbus to look for. I would like an area somewhat close to campus but also in a good part of town. If anyone has any suggestions, I would very much appreciate it!

Thanks so much!

I know you said you're looking to buy, but there isn't too much within walking distance of the school. However, you may find something in Grandview Heights, however, most of the properties are overpriced. If you don't mind driving 10 to 15 minutes everyday, you can find something to purchase (or rent) around Easton, or Upper Arlington. Bethel road has plenty to offer if you're ever in Columbus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Or, if you like the feel of an urban neighborhood, German Village, which is adjacent to down town (a 10 minute drive from campus), or a 20 minute bus ride, is an excellent neighborhood to rent in. Unfortunately, houses are VERY expensive to buy in German Village, as the neighborhood is historic and the homes have all been restored and many are completely modernized on the inside. I moved to Columbus from Chicago, and this is the only neighborhood that I could find that remotely made me feel like I was still living in a cool, charming, urban community (i.e. lots of cool coffee shops, a nice park where people walk their dog, cobble stone streets, funky shops, etc.). Anyway, just a plug for German Village (maybe a good place for you to live while you get to know Columbus and are looking for a place to buy).

Thanks so much for the information! I really appreciate it!