Question for OU-HCOM Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc1095

Reaction score
Do you like the new curriculum? Or would you prefer a lecture-based curriculum?

Do you feel as though you have enough study time even with the mandatory attendance?

Members don't see this ad.

I do like the new curriculum. However, the class is probably 50/50 or a majority has a distaste for it. I would prefer more presentations on material and less readings or just make them supplementary readings.

It basically works like this: You are given a study guide on Monday to complete by the following Monday in order to prepare for classes the next week. The estimated completion time is 40 hours. I know some people who just answer the objectives and get these guides done in 10-20 hours and do average on the exams (They also don't do any of the readings). When that Monday comes around you'll take an individual quiz and then a group quiz (Yes, a group quiz). Honestly, I know what you're thinking, but these group quizzes have been helpful with overall learning (teamwork, identifying weaknesses + strengths, resources, etc.) You'll also do in-class objectives which relate to the info which is presented in class, or sometimes they don't relate at all. Basically, this cycle repeats until an exam. It's important to note that you'll be preparing for the next week's material, while doing the current week's material, and ideally, but idk who has the time, reviewing the previous week's material. The problem comes down to reviewing the material from weeks ago to make sure you retain for the long term which I'll need to start doing more next semester either with Anki or just reviewing the study guides.

The mandatory attendance can be an issue. Simulated patient labs or OMM, I'm assuming is mandatory at every other school. Mandatory class time is usually a presentation with in class questions in which you'll discuss with your teams and then post an answer and explain if called upon. Study time is what you make of it. The pace in class can be kind of slow so I advise reviewing whatever materials are related to what's being discussed in class while doing the in class questions. Otherwise, it can be a waste of a lot of in-between time during questions. So it comes down to this, work hard as hell in class whether it's OMM or a lecture. Make sure you make the most out of your time, or you will get snowballed.

I feel like getting snowballed with this curriculum can hurt a lot because of the quizzes. If you fall behind on a study guide, you probably won't do so hot on the quiz. Then you'll have to complete that study guide while also trying to finish the next week's guide.

It comes down to what you make of it. It's the same story at every other school. I feel that I am being adequately prepared as long as I put the work in. For the most part, if you can understand the material to be completed before the week begins, you should be good to go. Just come here and work hard.

Ultimately, I'm very happy to be attending this school and feel that I'm being propelled in the right direction.

Reactions: 1 user
I do like the new curriculum. However, the class is probably 50/50 or a majority has a distaste for it. I would prefer more presentations on material and less readings or just make them supplementary readings.

It basically works like this: You are given a study guide on Monday to complete by the following Monday in order to prepare for classes the next week. The estimated completion time is 40 hours. I know some people who just answer the objectives and get these guides done in 10-20 hours and do average on the exams (They also don't do any of the readings). When that Monday comes around you'll take an individual quiz and then a group quiz (Yes, a group quiz). Honestly, I know what you're thinking, but these group quizzes have been helpful with overall learning (teamwork, identifying weaknesses + strengths, resources, etc.) You'll also do in-class objectives which relate to the info which is presented in class, or sometimes they don't relate at all. Basically, this cycle repeats until an exam. It's important to note that you'll be preparing for the next week's material, while doing the current week's material, and ideally, but idk who has the time, reviewing the previous week's material. The problem comes down to reviewing the material from weeks ago to make sure you retain for the long term which I'll need to start doing more next semester either with Anki or just reviewing the study guides.

The mandatory attendance can be an issue. Simulated patient labs or OMM, I'm assuming is mandatory at every other school. Mandatory class time is usually a presentation with in class questions in which you'll discuss with your teams and then post an answer and explain if called upon. Study time is what you make of it. The pace in class can be kind of slow so I advise reviewing whatever materials are related to what's being discussed in class while doing the in class questions. Otherwise, it can be a waste of a lot of in-between time during questions. So it comes down to this, work hard as hell in class whether it's OMM or a lecture. Make sure you make the most out of your time, or you will get snowballed.

I feel like getting snowballed with this curriculum can hurt a lot because of the quizzes. If you fall behind on a study guide, you probably won't do so hot on the quiz. Then you'll have to complete that study guide while also trying to finish the next week's guide.

It comes down to what you make of it. It's the same story at every other school. I feel that I am being adequately prepared as long as I put the work in. For the most part, if you can understand the material to be completed before the week begins, you should be good to go. Just come here and work hard.

Ultimately, I'm very happy to be attending this school and feel that I'm being propelled in the right direction.

are you a first year? any idea if this model changes or at least lightens up a bit during second year? i can't imagine being an M2 studying for boards and also juggling a mandatory 40+ hr time commitment each week.

are you a first year? any idea if this model changes or at least lightens up a bit during second year? i can't imagine being an M2 studying for boards and also juggling a mandatory 40+ hr time commitment each week.

1st year. We're the 1st class w/ the new curriculum.

They haven't shown us that much into the future. I'm hoping that's the case but have no idea.
The semesters go 1) Fall Yr1 Wellness --> 2) Spring Yr 1 Acute --> 3) Fall Yr 2 Chronic --> Spring Yr 2 Return to Wellness

Currently, mandatory attendance is usually around 17 hours a week. They are increasing the classes in our 2nd semester by 2 hours (Case Wrap up). The Friday class is a 2 hr small group meeting. Your small group basically meets in a room for 2 hours, and y'all decide what to do w/ it (Talk about the case, review topics, discuss roman literature, etc.). The time is yours. The meeting is guided by a small group coach (faculty person), but this person does not dictate the meeting, simply advises the group.

Honestly, people are reasonably apprehensive, but it's totally doable. If you attack it hard, you win. If you get lax, you'll get rolled.

The problem comes down to reviewing the material from weeks ago to make sure you retain for the long term which I'll need to start doing more next semester either with Anki or just reviewing the study guides.

I'd recommend OUHCOM based on Dr. Witmer alone.