Question for pediatricians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

techi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first post (so I apologize for any errors early on), but have used SDN for a lot of answers before.

I always wanted to be a physician for the right reasons, however have had a few changes especially in medical school that left me with few restrictions on physical abilities. I loved medical school and absolutely loved residency so far (internship), but due to the some past PTSD and having similar exposures in residency have been depressed and had a rehash of PTSD in residency.
I have taken care of myself with the support of my PD and a lot of supportive staff.

But I sincerely question going back to residency due to concerns of physical and mental health and am wondering what my future life as a general pediatrician would be, in terms of the working hours, the work-life balance, the potential of finding part time work after residency (I am restricted to a metropolitan area due to husband and child).

I would appreciate any feedback from pediatricians. I do realize that there have been a few posts previously about work-life balance and the questions I am asking, but would appreciate any new feedback on a general pediatrician life and the time to spend with family/ self rehab etc.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

First off, welcome.

Second off, glad you have a supportive program/PD and are working on you. Thats great.

Third, yes part time practice is not uncommon at all. I’m pretty far removed from primary care, though I will say even in critical care, part time positions exist. Within my own hospital system, the general pediatric group work 4 days a week with occasional in patient coverage for full time positions. I don’t know what part time looks like, but I can only imagine.

Reactions: 1 users
First off, welcome.

Second off, glad you have a supportive program/PD and are working on you. Thats great.

Third, yes part time practice is not uncommon at all. I’m pretty far removed from primary care, though I will say even in critical care, part time positions exist. Within my own hospital system, the general pediatric group work 4 days a week with occasional in patient coverage for full time positions. I don’t know what part time looks like, but I can only imagine.

Thank you surfingdoctor for your reply and assistance. :)

Thank you surfingdoctor for your reply and assistance. :)
No worries. Additionally, many hospital systems have urgent care clinics staffed by pediatricians. These by nature are part-time for the most part since they only operate in the early evening (after the clinic closes) and part-time on weekends.

Reactions: 1 user