Question for Penn Students...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreDentHopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just recently sent in my deposit to Penn Dental and am now wondering about a couple of things...

1. Is it true that students can test out of histology?
2. What type of grading system is used at Penn?
3. I'm from AZ (w/a husband and 2 dogs) so we're looking for a nice suburban neighborhood where we can rent for at least 6 mo. just outside of Philly (maybe even around NJ??)... if you guys have any suggestions, I would really appreciate it!! Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

don't mean to steal the thread, but if i may add to the questions:

4). do you guys have to do your own labwork?
5). and are the charts paperless, and do you have digital xrays?
6). clinical requirements as well, is it easy to get a chair, does the clinic run smoothly?

penn was my first interview at the time, and i didn't take note of these things. so any input would be greatly appreciated.

oh and to answer question #2, it's standard A-F grading, imo, the only downside to penn

Members don't see this ad :)
I just recently sent in my deposit to Penn Dental and am now wondering about a couple of things...

3. I'm from AZ (w/a husband and 2 dogs) so we're looking for a nice suburban neighborhood where we can rent for at least 6 mo. just outside of Philly (maybe even around NJ??)... if you guys have any suggestions, I would really appreciate it!! Thanks...

1. Yes, I did so...only the lab portion though but saves you countless morning hours
2. H-F, I like it...I have heard P/F hurts when trying to specialize
3. Hmm...suburbs...I know some people with families take the R5 commuter train in everyday for class but not quite sure where they live but they say its nice

I also just sent in to Penn. I have some friends who live in the area in places such as Bala Cynwyd, and Merion (sp?) which are both very nice residential suburban places...and from my understanding, pretty close to the city. Hope that helps. I also know that there are a bunch of other suburbs like those in the area, but not sure of specific names. Good luck. See you next year

1. You can test out of the lab component - not the lecture. It's certainly worth you time to study up and get out of that requirement (it will free up your schedule somewhat).

2. It's a letter grade system (H, A, B+, etc.) - No A-'s and anything below a 70 is failing.

3. Traffic around here will KILL you. It is possible to find places around school that do have yards and are pet friendly. While it's not unheard of for people to try and commute during their first two years - a time when you'll be practically living at school - most people move out to Center City or the burbs (Ardmore, etc.) during their third and fourth years when things are less time-demanding.

don't mean to steal the thread, but if i may add to the questions:

4). do you guys have to do your own labwork?
5). and are the charts paperless, and do you have digital xrays?
6). clinical requirements as well, is it easy to get a chair, does the clinic run smoothly?

penn was my first interview at the time, and i didn't take note of these things. so any input would be greatly appreciated.

4. It depends on your definition of lab work - students don't cast their own crowns, do the final processing of their dentures, etc. but we are required to do diagnostic wax-ups, pour your own casts, denture wax-ups, and so on.

5. Penn has both a paper and a paperless system. Students have the option of working with a computer for their charts (don't be mislead - there is still a paper trail associated with this here), and if that is the case, there is a clinic devoted to it, or they can use the regular paper method.

6. I have yet to enter the clinic but all of the upper classmen I have spoken to say that getting a chair isn't a problem and when your patient doesn't show up there is always something to do, such as deal with paperwork (#5) or work on labwork (#4).

I hope this helps!

This is going to be such an unusual question.... but do you guys know of anyone who's been pregnant or raised a family during their time at Penn? (Or in other words, is it possible 1st year, or is it just extremely busy? ie. lots of staying up overnight)

This is going to be such an unusual question.... but do you guys know of anyone who's been pregnant or raised a family during their time at Penn? (Or in other words, is it possible 1st year, or is it just extremely busy? ie. lots of staying up overnight)

You'll have plenty of free time. The first year lecture classes are not really very time demanding nor overly hard. If you're just trying to pass, you hardly even need to study for most. Even with 40 or so "exams" spread throughout the year during year one, there's plenty of time to have a life. We have a handful of classmates who have had kids (some during school, others from before it started), and none have failed out yet (fourth year).

Thank you so much for your positive response! I've been extremely worried as I wasn't sure what to expect, but now I can put my mind at ease :) I appreciate it...