Question for PRO MD/CRNA practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imnodr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an RN(ADN). I have all of my BSN pre-req's which would allow me to finish a degree in biology in about 1.5 years. My grades would be competitive for med school. My original intent was to go BSN/CRNA, but I'm having second thoughts.

I'm 31 and have a very supportive family. I could be CRNA in 4-5 years. MD route would take 10-11.

My question is, if you were in my shoes what would you do? Money is not really the issue, and I feel like I would be happy in either case. I've shadowed CRNA's and they seem to be really happy with or hate their jobs not really alot of middleground.

Sorry for the long post, I've lurked here a while and would like to hear from some of you.(MilMd, JPP) especially

Thanks in advance.
mike

Members don't see this ad.

It’s great that if you went to med school that you are already interested in anesthesiology but if you go that route there are so many other specialties to consider.

The reason I initially went to medical school was to take a leadership role in the health of others. You don’t get this in any other field. Making decisions based on knowledge and experience that can greatly affect your patient.

In the end you have to decide what would make you and your family happiest. Becoming an MD or going through with CRNA training. Both are great jobs and take commitment, but the commitment that you and your family have to have to medical school will be unparalleled. Don’t take that lightly, but if you decide that is what you want do it and don’t look back. We had plenty of people in their 30s and 40s with previous careers in my med school classand plenty of people with families as well.

imnodr said:
I am an RN(ADN). I have all of my BSN pre-req's which would allow me to finish a degree in biology in about 1.5 years. My grades would be competitive for med school. My original intent was to go BSN/CRNA, but I'm having second thoughts.

I'm 31 and have a very supportive family. I could be CRNA in 4-5 years. MD route would take 10-11.

My question is, if you were in my shoes what would you do? Money is not really the issue, and I feel like I would be happy in either case. I've shadowed CRNA's and they seem to be really happy with or hate their jobs not really alot of middleground.

Sorry for the long post, I've lurked here a while and would like to hear from some of you.(MilMd, JPP) especially

Thanks in advance.
mike

Mike,

I think usnavydoc said it very well. Its all in what youre looking for, and what amount of time youre willing to give up to get it.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Either way you go, I doubt you'll be making a bad decision.

usnavdoc said:
It’s great that if you went to med school that you are already interested in anesthesiology but if you go that route there are so many other specialties to consider.

The reason I initially went to medical school was to take a leadership role in the health of others. You don’t get this in any other field. Making decisions based on knowledge and experience that can greatly affect your patient.

In the end you have to decide what would make you and your family happiest. Becoming an MD or going through with CRNA training. Both are great jobs and take commitment, but the commitment that you and your family have to have to medical school will be unparalleled. Don’t take that lightly, but if you decide that is what you want do it and don’t look back. We had plenty of people in their 30s and 40s with previous careers in my med school classand plenty of people with families as well.

Thanks for your response. I realize the commitment of med school and that's why I think I'm having such a tough time. My family supports me, and though I've explained it, Im not sure they really realize how the next years would be.
I'll go back to lurking now. Thanks.

jetproppilot said:
Mike,

I think usnavydoc said it very well. Its all in what youre looking for, and what amount of time youre willing to give up to get it.

Good luck!

I've seen tour pro MD/CRNA posts, thats why I mentioned you guys(MilMD).
This forum is a great recource with senior (in terms of practice) guys being involved. Thanks again