Question for Scholl or Barry students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Iam just curious. This thing has been stalking my mind from last 2 weeks. So iam kind of confused. I saw that Scholl and Barry both has a PA program.

At scholl we do take some classes with PA and Path Asst students. It was mentioned by Emedpa that if one has a PA then one cud have more autonomy and also perform other body evaluations and thus increase his value espeically if he wants to work in Orthopedic group. And i saw a Podiatrist in chicago who has a PA. iam not sure if he uses his PA degree or not. but he does mention it on his Business card. it goes something like this Dr. XYZX DPM, PA.

Iam just curious, is there any way that students in Scholl or barry could take an extra semester or two and finish the rotations for PA and get a PA along with their DPM. (Since i saw many courses we take overlap with PA curriculum). I think it will be great, if one opens his own practice in rural areas. he could provide his podiatric services and along with it provide other healthcare services (basic Family practice) to his patients. In this way, he could make himself more worth (one stop shopping for the patient) and also increase his revenue. if i wanna practice regular medicine i wud just go straight for MD. but iam just talking abt basic day to day primary care which cud be done by a DPM if he has a PA. he will bcom a great asset to that rural facility. i know the essence of a DPM is foot and ankle speciality and one shud focus on that only.

One thing i would like to say fellow SDNers. I have 1000 questions coming in my mind every day, and wat ever comes in my mind i just come online and post it. So i dont have any plans for this, but as usual with all my posts , iam just curious.

and this question is specially to DMU guys, since u said that u guys take classes with DO students. Suppose if anyone of u wanna switch to DO, do u get credit for those classes or u have to start allover again.

HA HA HA HA HA, these are some really good questions. i hope this thread will deviate ur minds from "The anatmoy Lab in Scholl thread'. lol! i think now who ever goes for the tour will definetly observe whether the tank was closed or not and report on that thread. lol!

Members don't see this ad.

Iam just curious. This thing has been stalking my mind from last 2 weeks. So iam kind of confused. I saw that Scholl and Barry both has a PA program.

At scholl we do take some classes with PA and Path Asst students. It was mentioned by Emedpa that if one has a PA then one cud have more autonomy and also perform other body evaluations and thus increase his value espeically if he wants to work in Orthopedic group. And i saw a Podiatrist in chicago who has a PA. iam not sure if he uses his PA degree or not. but he does mention it on his Business card. it goes something like this Dr. XYZX DPM, PA.

Iam just curious, is there any way that students in Scholl or barry could take an extra semester or two and finish the rotations for PA and get a PA along with their DPM. (Since i saw many courses we take overlap with PA curriculum). I think it will be great, if one opens his own practice in rural areas. he could provide his podiatric services and along with it provide other healthcare services (basic Family practice) to his patients. In this way, he could make himself more worth (one stop shopping for the patient) and also increase his revenue. if i wanna practice regular medicine i wud just go straight for MD. but iam just talking abt basic day to day primary care which cud be done by a DPM if he has a PA. he will bcom a great asset to that rural facility. i know the essence of a DPM is foot and ankle speciality and one shud focus on that only.

One thing i would like to say fellow SDNers. I have 1000 questions coming in my mind every day, and wat ever comes in my mind i just come online and post it. So i dont have any plans for this, but as usual with all my posts , iam just curious.

and this question is specially to DMU guys, since u said that u guys take classes with DO students. Suppose if anyone of u wanna switch to DO, do u get credit for those classes or u have to start allover again.

HA HA HA HA HA, these are some really good questions. i hope this thread will deviate ur minds from "The anatmoy Lab in Scholl thread'. lol! i think now who ever goes for the tour will definetly observe whether the tank was closed or not and report on that thread. lol!

I have not heard of a student yet looking into this as an option. I believe you can take it after you graduate with the DPM of course but am unsure if it can be a combined degree. I will somehow find that out soon.

We take the Physiology and Histology with the Path Assistant students. Also we take interprofessional teams with all students and ICM with MD students. Ofcourse we take Anatomy with the MD and AP students and the PA's take it in the summer.

I believe that the PA program needs to be taken separately. However, if one person decided to do this it wouldn't be all that hard considering that you would have already taken those classes before. The PA program is 2 years right? One year of Med School and one year of clinicals?

cool,

if you did a search on this forum you will see that the DPM to DO issue has already been addressed but nonetheless the answer is no - despite the fact that the DMU DPM students take the same classes with the DO students, they would still need to reapply (to DO) and start from scratch.

With regards to your PA question, I think I can make this situation clearer if you can accept that our programs (DPM) are separate independent entities even if some of them share classes with other programs. That being said, the credits may be transferable from one DPM to school to another (not always the case, and is usually not before the end of the 2nd year if it happens) but not from a DPM program to a completely different program (even if the classes are the same). Again, different program, different administration, and different facculty - so they'll probably have you start from scratch. If you want confirmation about that - you can always call up scholl and inquire for more details. I'd be curious to see if they'd incorporate such an idea (Dual DPM/PA) into their program - but I find that very unlikely.

Members don't see this ad :)

At DMU, you sit next to DOs take the same test but do not get credit if you switch programs.

DMU also has a PA program. The PAs take Physical diagnosis and pharm w/ the DOs and DPMs.

As for getting a dual degree, one thing you do not understand is PAs can work on a lot of areas but they can only practice medicine under the guidance of a DO or MD. It is not an autonomous degree. So I see no advantage to getting both.

one thing you do not understand is PAs can work on a lot of areas but they can only practice medicine under the guidance of a DO or MD. It is not an autonomous degree. So I see no advantage to getting both.

No no! i know that a PA cant work Autonomus. But a PA can work on his own and even setup his own practice. The supervising MD/DO doesnt have to be in the office. he cud be somewhere and the PA can practice somewhere (atleast tats what i heard), he just have to meet him once or twice in a month or s based on State law to explain to the MD/DO, its like a meeting where they discuss how the month went, what he prescribed, etc. i heard these Supervising MD/DO are more like a rubber stamp. they just make sure tat a PA is not doing anything wrong or crossing his limits (bcoz if a PA messes up, the MD will also be in trouble). Apart from that, they just see their check and are happy.

And if a PA is only limiting himself to simple and basic practice (not doing any important things) he will have no problem at all. it shud be used just as an added advantage which u cud use to help ur foot and ankle patients (who need some other basic care along with foot care). one shudnt start a running practice on tat. PAs dont make that much in comparision to DPM. So its not abt money. i thought it cud be like an added attraction if u r in a rural area where there arent any MDs, or DOs.

Iam a very lazy person, well not lazy but i dont like extra work. I have decided DPM and tats all i cud do. I cant do dual degrees.

I just ask bcoz i get these doubts and who knows tomorrow if i wanna do some thing i cud use this information.

No no! i know that a PA cant work Autonomus. But a PA can work on his own and even setup his own practice. The supervising MD/DO doesnt have to be in the office. he cud be somewhere and the PA can practice somewhere (atleast tats what i heard), he just have to meet him once or twice in a month or s based on State law to explain to the MD/DO, its like a meeting where they discuss how the month went, what he prescribed, etc. i heard these Supervising MD/DO are more like a rubber stamp. they just make sure tat a PA is not doing anything wrong or crossing his limits (bcoz if a PA messes up, the MD will also be in trouble). Apart from that, they just see their check and are happy.

And if a PA is only limiting himself to simple and basic practice (not doing any important things) he will have no problem at all. it shud be used just as an added advantage which u cud use to help ur foot and ankle patients (who need some other basic care along with foot care). one shudnt start a running practice on tat. PAs dont make that much in comparision to DPM. So its not abt money. i thought it cud be like an added attraction if u r in a rural area where there arent any MDs, or DOs.

Iam a very lazy person, well not lazy but i dont like extra work. I have decided DPM and tats all i cud do. I cant do dual degrees.

I just ask bcoz i get these doubts and who knows tomorrow if i wanna do some thing i cud use this information.

I know the NP's can be independent, however I believe that PA's have to work under supervision of MD or DO's. Please correct me if I am wrong:)

I know the NP's can be independent, however I believe that PA's have to work under supervision of MD or DO's. Please correct me if I am wrong:)

no! iam sure abt that. Marquette has a PA program too and i found out from them. It basically depends on state law but a majority of states do allow them to practice independently.

And i saw a Podiatrist in chicago who has a PA. iam not sure if he uses his PA degree or not. but he does mention it on his Business card. it goes something like this Dr. XYZX DPM, PA.

In this case PA doesn't usually mean Physician's Assistant. It is the type of business entity with which the physician is registered by the state. For instance, typical businesses can be a general partnership, a limited liability partnership, a limited liability company, a limited partnership, a professional association, a professional corporation, a nonprofit corporation, a business corporation, or a statutory close corporation. In this case, PA stands for Professional Association. Try a google search for "MD PA". You'll find thousands of them.