Question for SIU dental students

Started by teefdr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

teefdr

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it possible to commute from Alton to Chicago every weekend? During all 4 years of dental school.
Do you have to stay in Alton on the weekends?
Is it a crazy idea in general?
 
Just outside Chicago is place called Illinois
It's a wonder place to visit or take your little boy.

...Song by Steve Goodman
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
that's funny cause I do have a little boy that I cannot abandon for 4 years

Steve Goodman was a Chicago folk singer/writer in the 70's - 80's.
He wrote the song quoted to poke fun at the Chicago "City People" that thought civilization ended at the Chicago city limits and had never been out of the city.
As a "Downstate" person myself, I have always chuckled at the Chicagoans I have met, that know nothing about our Illinois communities yet all of us Downstaters know everything about Chicago.



Good Luck with SIU and being a mother!
When I was an SIU student, I couldn't understand how the married students managed to be a student and a spouse at the same time. To be a parent and a dental student was far, far out of my understanding.
I wish you well.


PS Check out the Amtrak Train Schedule!
In non-COVID times there are 3 or 4 trains a day between Chicago and Alton and the times are not to bad.
 
Steve Goodman was a Chicago folk singer/writer in the 70's - 80's.
He wrote the song quoted to poke fun at the Chicago "City People" that thought civilization ended at the Chicago city limits and had never been out of the city.
As a "Downstate" person myself, I have always chuckled at the Chicagoans I have met, that know nothing about our Illinois communities yet all of us Downstaters know everything about Chicago.



Good Luck with SIU and being a mother!
When I was an SIU student, I couldn't understand how the married students managed to be a student and a spouse at the same time. To be a parent and a dental student was far, far out of my understanding.
I wish you well.


PS Check out the Amtrak Train Schedule!
In non-COVID times there are 3 or 4 trains a day between Chicago and Alton and the times are not to bad.

Thank you! Just planning makes me stressed already, I don't know how it will be when I will actually start dental school...
 
I don’t know your marital situation, but if you live with someone (husband, significant other...) then you can live with your kids. I went to dental school with two small children.
If you are single, then I can see where it becomes a bit more complicated in your situation.