Question for SIU dental students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teefdr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to commute from Alton to Chicago every weekend? During all 4 years of dental school.
Do you have to stay in Alton on the weekends?
Is it a crazy idea in general?

Members don't see this ad.

As a D4, I would not recommend commuting 4.5 hrs every weekend unless you want to drive yourself nuts (literally)

Just outside Chicago is place called Illinois
It's a wonder place to visit or take your little boy.

...Song by Steve Goodman

Members don't see this ad :)
Just outside Chicago is place called Illinois
It's a wonder place to visit or take your little boy.

...Song by Steve Goodman
that's funny cause I do have a little boy that I cannot abandon for 4 years

that's funny cause I do have a little boy that I cannot abandon for 4 years

Steve Goodman was a Chicago folk singer/writer in the 70's - 80's.
He wrote the song quoted to poke fun at the Chicago "City People" that thought civilization ended at the Chicago city limits and had never been out of the city.
As a "Downstate" person myself, I have always chuckled at the Chicagoans I have met, that know nothing about our Illinois communities yet all of us Downstaters know everything about Chicago.

Good Luck with SIU and being a mother!
When I was an SIU student, I couldn't understand how the married students managed to be a student and a spouse at the same time. To be a parent and a dental student was far, far out of my understanding.
I wish you well.

PS Check out the Amtrak Train Schedule!
In non-COVID times there are 3 or 4 trains a day between Chicago and Alton and the times are not to bad.

Steve Goodman was a Chicago folk singer/writer in the 70's - 80's.
He wrote the song quoted to poke fun at the Chicago "City People" that thought civilization ended at the Chicago city limits and had never been out of the city.
As a "Downstate" person myself, I have always chuckled at the Chicagoans I have met, that know nothing about our Illinois communities yet all of us Downstaters know everything about Chicago.

Good Luck with SIU and being a mother!
When I was an SIU student, I couldn't understand how the married students managed to be a student and a spouse at the same time. To be a parent and a dental student was far, far out of my understanding.
I wish you well.

PS Check out the Amtrak Train Schedule!
In non-COVID times there are 3 or 4 trains a day between Chicago and Alton and the times are not to bad.

Thank you! Just planning makes me stressed already, I don't know how it will be when I will actually start dental school...

I don’t know your marital situation, but if you live with someone (husband, significant other...) then you can live with your kids. I went to dental school with two small children.
If you are single, then I can see where it becomes a bit more complicated in your situation.