teelove2ball

10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2007
kansas city,mo
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
What is it like as far as relationships while in school and when you become a pharmacist? Just wondering how things are handle in school and after as far as families, spouses, and children.

Farmercyst

From the shadows
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
The bottom of a pile of debt.
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
What is it like as far as relationships while in school and when you become a pharmacist? Just wondering how things are handle in school and after as far as families, spouses, and children.

I'm imagining mine will be the same as when I got my AS and BS. Same relationship, more health-related questions. My wife hates that I'm never home, and rightfully so. She just takes solace in the fact that it's temporary and my 16 hour days will go down to 10-12. (8 if I'm lucky, but I'm not counting on it after reading posts for ~6months now.)

pharmboy30

order entry monkey
10+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2006
desert
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist

She worked full time days, I worked full time nights, when I got home I needed to study (I was a night person). We got divorced my third year of school......:D

My girlfriend graduates from pharmacy school in June so she totally understands. we get along wonderfully. Helps to work the same shift though.

About the Ads

Requiem

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2004
Status (Visible)
This seems like another thread that is completely individual; there's no answer to your question.

The only thing you can get answers to are how much time you'll be spending at school/doing studying (which is yet again independent; depends on so many factors) or how many hours/week a pharmacist puts in, but other than that it's completely subjective as to how a relationship fares in school.

It's very akin to asking a group of people how they felt when Carolina won the stanley cup last year.

Farmercyst

From the shadows
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
The bottom of a pile of debt.
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
This seems like another thread that is completely individual; there's no answer to your question.

The only thing you can get answers to are how much time you'll be spending at school/doing studying (which is yet again independent; depends on so many factors) or how many hours/week a pharmacist puts in, but other than that it's completely subjective as to how a relationship fares in school.

It's very akin to asking a group of people how they felt when Carolina won the stanley cup last year.

Yeah, some of us completely couldn't care. (Stanley huh:rolleyes: )

acetyl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Requiem said:

Sure there is an answer to the question. Maybe YOU can't answer the question because you're not there yet, but many people who have experienced this part of their life can comment on how things were for them, or are for them. I don't have a wife or kids, but the women in my life always make comments about how they don't get to see me enough. As long as they know what to expect going in, there shouldn't be too many problems.

Requiem

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2004
Status (Visible)
Sure there is an answer to the question. Maybe YOU can't answer the question because you're not there yet, but many people who have experienced this part of their life can comment on how things were for them, or are for them. I don't have a wife or kids, but the women in my life always make comments about how they don't get to see me enough. As long as they know what to expect going in, there shouldn't be too many problems.

I really hate to belabour a frivolous point; you didn't even say why what I said was wrong, you just went in a different direction with an authoratative tone.

Perhaps I wasn't clear; some relationships are very co-dependent - others are independent moreso where they don't need to see each other every day. How those two different couples would respond would be completely opposite, hence there's no one answer to this thread.

Believe it or not :laugh: I am "there", in school and in a relationship. Perhaps since you're c/o 2011 you're not "there" yet :p

All in good nature bud.

nightcrawleRx

10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I've got to agree with Requiem...

Relationships are like friggin snowflakes...I dare you to find two that are exactly alike.

Haha, after typing that I realize that's pretty damn cheesy...but true.

acetyl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I really hate to belabour a frivolous point; you didn't even say why what I said was wrong, you just went in a different direction with an authoratative tone.

Perhaps I wasn't clear; some relationships are very co-dependent - others are independent moreso where they don't need to see each other every day. How those two different couples would respond would be completely opposite, hence there's no one answer to this thread.

Believe it or not :laugh: I am "there", in school and in a relationship. Perhaps since you're c/o 2011 you're not "there" yet :p

All in good nature bud.

I know it's all in good nature with you. No worries here, but why would you bother telling someone that there are differences in opinion about this issue, instead of directly contributing your own experiences. Seems like you just enjoy listening to yourself speak. I know she didn't ask a completely objective question like why I'm cooler than you, which is a simple "just because" answer, but why do you have to respond in such a it depends fashion. Man, why do you have to be so anal? :smuggrin:

So if you are there, why don't you contribute a response about your own experiences? I'm sure most everyones will run together after a while. Do enlighten me, what's the real thing like? I'm frightened, just like I was a few months ago when you so professionally called me pre-pharmer, that I don't think I'll be able to handle the "real thing". School is school bro-some may require more memorizing, but nevertheless it's basically the same thing. And you never did answer my question about which school you attend?

cangelilli

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
Maryland
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
My husband and I are both in school, so studying a lot and not going out a whole bunch is ok with us because we are both in the same boat. On the other hand, I have a lot of friends that their spouses/signifigant others are not in school and it is hard to juggle their time, but it can work. It all depends on the situation. I think most couples can make it through a few years of hard work to reap great rewards at the end!

sdn1977

10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2005
Status (Visible)
Altho Requiem & nightcrawlerx both have valid points....so did Acetyl.

Personally, I took the op's question to be asking what impact school &/or being in the profession had on being in a relationship. It really doesn't matter what year you're in - P1-P4.....doesn't matter - they're all valid & just because any one student is not "there" - whether in a particular year in school, year in their career or year in a relationship....doesn't matter.

The fact is - this is a tremendously valid question & shouldn't, IMO, be made light of - which, unfortunately, it seems to be have become.

You've all been in college - so you know, somewhat, what school will do to a relationship.

Being a pharmacist is a whole different thing and very dependent on your own circumstance - both personal & professional.

You often have to make compromises - I've had to do it many times in the 31 years of my marriage. It has not been easy to juggle two professional people (who both take call), children, desires for advancement, desires to be good parents, spouses, in-laws & just a desire to be alone & do whatever you want.

OP - its hard - yes...very hard! But....if you communicate well - you can make it work. The only advice I'd give to anyone - which is worth as much as the paper its written on :)rolleyes: -no paper involved!).....try to put off having children until you both know what your life will be like. But...if that's not the case...you deal with what you have at the time & make the best of it.

There have been times I've been a less than adequate pharmacist to be a good mother......a less than adequate mother to be a good pharmacist....and, sadly, many, many times I've been a less than adequate spouse. But - overall, I'm good at all of them - I've just not been good at all of them all the time.

There's no one "right" way...no assurance your relationship will survive & thrive....just your own & your SO's ability to be flexible & your desire to be the very best you can be at that one particular time.

Good luck - it's a fun ride!!!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.