Question for the Columbia MPH students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BackToTheWall

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok... so many questions so here goes:

#1 - Most importantly, why are you pursuing a MPH and why Columbia? It would be even better directed question to those considering on moving on the medical school later on which is what I will be doing.

#2 - how important are letters of rec? Don't think mine will be any good because I went to ucla and sat among classes of a gazillion people so never really got to get to know the profs.

#3 - having said that... if i were to approach a prof for a letter of rec -- what type of information should i give him so that he can write one that will tailor well into my needs.

things i've thought about to include for the prof to be more informed about me:
- classes related to MPH : probably none... i was a molecular bio major (what classes do you take as a MPH student?)
- reasons to get a MPH : im interested in getting a broader perspective in treating diseases but... being a doctor is my final and ultimate goal. (thats why i asked question #1 cause i may have similar interests as you do but i just don't know it yet)
- volunteer activities i have done : (volunteered at different hospitals since 8th grade... work at a free clinic ... volunteer a children's hospital playing with kids..) -- but no volunteer work with respect to diseases and helping the human population in general. Should i go work at the red cross? since i have some free time till i apply for the fall of 2006.. any activities i can look into?
- anything else you can think of that i should include as information for the prof so that he/she can write as good of a letter of rec as possible without really knowing me?

#4 - with a 3.2 gpa... what would be a good gre score to get me in? I'm aiming for 1400 -- currently hitting 750+ in math.. and low 6's in verbal. what was your gpa and gre score? Should be able to obtain my goal

#5 - are there any scholarships that you received to columbia?

#6 any more words of wisdom that i should know to better my chances to get in? I can easily go to a state school USC/UCLA but being as tired of cali as I am and wouldn't mind living in NYC. SO any tips to help better my application would be appreciated

#7 how do you like it? would you have rather gone someone else now that your there USC, yale, uc berk, hopkins?

ok this is really long.. thanks in advance for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Here are my thoughts on your questions.
[Disclaimer: I am not a Columbia student, and didn't apply there. Did my undergrad at a UC and am now on the East Coast for grad school.]

#2: It is important that letters of recommendation not be negative. If they are very strongly positive, that should be helpful. In your situation (which a lot of large-universiy students probably encounter), as long as your letters are better than neutral, I wouldn't worry about it. While they won't boost your application tremendously, they probably won't hurt, either.

#3: Your list of things to tell the prof is great, but I think you're selling yourself short. MCB classes will definitely be useful background for an MPH, particularly if you focus in one of the more sciency (vs. policy/education) areas. Likewise, volunteering at a free clinic and in a hospital are great public health experiences! (Not all MPHs spend their time responding to humanitarian crises. That said, if you want to volunteer with the Red Cross, that's good, too.) MPH students usually take some core courses in biostatistics and epidemiology, as well as courses in areas like environmental/occupational health, health policy, and so on. Any biology, other science, or math/stats experience you have will be an asset.

As far as what to include for the prof, here are some ideas:
- a current resume/CV
- a cover letter
- the forms for each school with pre-addressed, stamped envelopes
- an unofficial transcript if it's reasonably good
- a clear list of deadlines and requirements for each school

In the cover letter:
- remind the prof who you are (what class(es) you took fromhim/her and anything you might have done to distinguish yourself in the class, like a cool project, well-received paper, or even just a good final grade)
- the degree you're going for and why you're interested in it
- a little detail about the experience you've mentioned and how it influenced your decision to pursue the MPH, and/or how you will build upon it in the program to reach your goal of becoming a well-rounded MD
- what particular aspects of your record you want the prof to mention in the letter -- if the prof doesn't know you well enough to be specific about, say, your excellent research skills/lab technique/ability to work with others to solve problems/undergrad research experience/achievement under adverse conditions/whatever, you could just leave that part out.
- profuse thanks, and a promise (you will keep) to let the prof know how things turn out

It's a good idea to contact the prof first via e-mail to feel out whether he/she has time and can write at least a basic positive letter for you.

#4: Yeah, so your GPA's OK but not great. Don't worry too much. Is it stronger in your major or in science courses in general? Did it improve at all in your last couple of years as compared to when you were a freshman/sophomore? Those would be good, but even if not, don't lose hope. Your GRE math score is super, and combined 1400ish is also excellent.

My impression is that public health schools, more than some other programs, do consider the "whole package", so if you write a strong and specific statement of interest tailored to Columbia's program and resources, get reasonably positive (even if slightly generic) letters of rec, have an OK GPA and a good GRE, and play up your volunteer work, you would have a reasonable chance of being admitted.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

First of all, I go to Columbia and these are just my two cents:

#1- I realized that I wanted an MPH around the middle of college although I've always been pre-med. I realized that community health/medicine was my calling after a trip to India where I shadowed doctors for about a month. I then proceeded to a lotta activities that dealt with public health in different community settings. Columbia was the choice for me (thank the lord! i HEART ny!) because I'd lived in the bay area my whole life and it was time for me to go. And the opportunities for public health are endless in NYC. There are so many populations of people here that need to be addressed... regardless of what emphasis, you can make a difference. The problem with Columbia (as is Berkeley) is that you have to seek out opportunities on your own. Oh do you know what emphasis you wanna do? I wish I'd done epidemiology or environmental health sciences in retrospect because they're more sciency and i was a mcb major BUT, doing health policy/management has helped me enormously because i've learned SO much about healthcare!

#2 - i went to berkeley so i feel your pain but ummmm, how are you gonna apply to med school without solid letters of rec from your undergrad institution? i had my ta's write letters and had my professor co-sign it. and then i have a bunch of letters from: my lab PI, other professors, etc.

#3 - uhhh your career center should have this information. if not i suggest http://career.berkeley.edu. it's REALLY helpful about how to approach it. i started out with kind emails to my professors (giving them a few months) asking if they'd be willing to meet with me to write one.

#4 - you'll get into columbia with a 3.2 for sure. many of my classmates did. 1400+ would be great but i'm sure you'll be fine with a 1300+.

#5 - a small one for like $5000 i think?

#6 - you REALLY need to figure out for yourself why you want to pursue public health. i know that i want to implement in whatever field of medicine i go into. i think approaching medicine from the public health perspective is imperative when the future is going to be seeing a large rise in the uninsured and rising healthcare costs at the same time. there'll be a huge focus on prevention rather than treatment..the shift is already taking place, imo.

#7 im SO happy here. i applied to a lot of em and narrowed it down to umich, ucla and columbia. i don't think ann arbor is an area filled with public health issues and i hate LA, so the decision was easy for me.

PM me if you wanna know anything else. g'luck! :thumbup: