Question for the people in the know

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Manual

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already have a degree in Information Systems and my GPA is sitting at around a 3.26...kind of low.

I started taking the core 8 last year; though I made the mistake of adding a Calc. class, stupid of me. Anyways towards the end of the semester something came up and I fell of a little ended up getting B's in both Bio I and the Calc course, A in chem though and A's on both labs.

Now I am taking Chem II, Bio II, Physics I, and Psychology, w/three labs. Now assuming I get A's in all the above and A's in the both Orgs. and Physics II which I will take over the summer....and say just hypothetically that I get a 30 on the MCAT what chances do you think I'll have of getting into a med school?

I have good ECs...I worked in Haiti for two weeks in a burn/emergency clinic, have about 100 hospital volunteer hours, shadowed a doctor, plus I work part time and do stand up comedy at open mics. I am just wondering what shot you guys think I have.

Also do med school admissions people look down on the people that just took the eight core sciences and then applied? Should I try to pad it with a few more courses?

Members don't see this ad.

Manual my brother is applying this year with just the basic pre-reqs for med school. His undergrad degree was in humanities. So far he has gotten into a few schools. So i would think that you are fine. As long as you can show some grasp of physical sciences i think you should be fine.

I think that with your new courses your GPA will go up a bit and if you get a 30+ you should receive some acceptances. Take extra courses only if you want to.

A friendly reminder : apply as early as possible and rock the interviews. Try to take the MCAT in April if you can.

You're definitely fine with just the core requirements, as long as your grades in them are good. Of course you need to do well on the MCAT and I second what Tezzie said about applying early. Your extracurriculars/life experiences sound interesting and diverse as well (i.e. the stand-up comedy), and med schools like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
If those things happen, you will be in good shape to apply. However since this is only assumption, you are going to have to work hard to pull it off. I am mainly talking about the assumption of a 30 on the MCAT. STudy, study, study.

To all who are going to apply:
Apply EARLY. We SDNers that have gone through the application process know the importance of applying early and really try to stress this to all of you that haven't applied yet.

Also get your EC's early on so you can work somewhere for a longer period of time, which shows a higher degree of committment. And get to know your profs so that when you need LORs, they are easy to get.

never assume.
haha you make it sound easy almost.

but anyways...if those things you say happen then i would say you would be competitive to get into a medical school. you might be partially limited in what schools you can apply to since i didnt see you mention that you are gonna take some biochem.

no its not bad at all to apply without a science degree because a lot of applicants do that and get in.

as of now, just focus on your classes, on taking the mcat, and on continuing to make people laugh.

good luck.