Question for the pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quesforyoupharm

Reaction score
Hello All,

I’ve recently applied for a job that has asked that I sign over permission to my prescription history on a nys prescription database.

I’m curious, would this particularly employer be able to see that I’m prescribed blood pressure medication? Is there a database of any kind for non controlled prescriptions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
yes there is a site where it tracks none control meds

not sure about new york tho

I am surprised an employer would ask you to do that. I'm assuming you are applying for a job where absolutely no drugs would be allowed (like a pilot.) The vast majority of jobs can't discriminate against you based on your any drugs you take controlled or not, as long as they aren't interfering with your job (like they might require a physical and you'd need to disclose to the doctor conducting the physical any prescription meds you were on.) It seems like it would be a bad idea for a business to routinely ask this (just like it would be a bad idea for them to ask if you were pregnant, or what church you go to....it's only going to get them sued.)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am surprised an employer would ask you to do that. I'm assuming you are applying for a job where absolutely no drugs would be allowed (like a pilot.) The vast majority of jobs can't discriminate against you based on your any drugs you take controlled or not, as long as they aren't interfering with your job (like they might require a physical and you'd need to disclose to the doctor conducting the physical any prescription meds you were on.) It seems like it would be a bad idea for a business to routinely ask this (just like it would be a bad idea for them to ask if you were pregnant, or what church you go to....it's only going to get them sued.)
are pilots allowed to be on lithium or SSRIs?

This is a great pretext to sue them for discrimination, if they don’t hire you later.

It’s like employers who ask for social media credentials/to look at your profile (illegal in some states I believe)…just make your top three posts about being in a legally protected class and keep that in your pocket!

are pilots allowed to be on lithium or SSRIs?
A pilot acquaintance told me that no, they were not allowed to be on any chronic drugs or take any OTC drug within 24 hours of flying. But I don't know if this is universal, or just the rules his airline had. So.....I just now googled to see what I could find, there is a list of FDA approved drugs. With anti-depressants, "single use antidepressants" (whatever that is???) must be approved by the FAA in Washington D.C. on a case by case basis. Many anti-depressants are specifically listed out "not acceptable." With SSRI's, Prozac is listed as possibly acceptable on a case-by-case basis, Paxil is listed as not acceptable. Even many antibiotics are listed as acceptable only on a case by case basis (almost every drug that is "acceptable" is on a case by case basis only.) Medications approved by the FAA | Pilot Medical Solutions - LeftSeat.com

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Op, the database only tracks controls and court ordered meds. You even should be fine even if controls are on your profile if prescribed and explained. By the way, if you buy insurance through your work, your provider will know that you are on BP meds. They cannot discriminate against you if you are on that.

This is a great pretext to sue them for discrimination, if they don’t hire you later.

It’s like employers who ask for social media credentials/to look at your profile (illegal in some states I believe)…just make your top three posts about being in a legally protected class and keep that in your pocket!
Depends on the employer. It is technically illegal in CA without a signed release, but there is cause that they actually are required to ask for it. Your CA-based hospital does make you sign a medical records release if you put in your application that you were once impaired which I think both of us would consider reasonable and is state mandated. And for certain jobs, that is a known requirement (forklift driver is a common one where that is a mandated matter due to DoT/OSHA requirements).

A pilot acquaintance told me that no, they were not allowed to be on any chronic drugs or take any OTC drug within 24 hours of flying. But I don't know if this is universal, or just the rules his airline had. So.....I just now googled to see what I could find, there is a list of FDA approved drugs. With anti-depressants, "single use antidepressants" (whatever that is???) must be approved by the FAA in Washington D.C. on a case by case basis. Many anti-depressants are specifically listed out "not acceptable." With SSRI's, Prozac is listed as possibly acceptable on a case-by-case basis, Paxil is listed as not acceptable. Even many antibiotics are listed as acceptable only on a case by case basis (almost every drug that is "acceptable" is on a case by case basis only.) Medications approved by the FAA | Pilot Medical Solutions - LeftSeat.com
In practice, the FAA has the same list as the other DoT restricted drugs. The only exceptions are diabetic drugs which are permitted in truck drivers, but pilots need special permission, and it's likely a termination issue with the airline.