Question for the Pre-Vet students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RhondaMarie

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question for you guys, I've been searching and can't seem to find the answer and really I'm just tired of looking and too busy at work to keep looking! I know medical schools take your cumulative GPA and do not apply grade forgiveness, is this true of vet schools as well? I'm just curious.
 
Depends on the school. A few schools will allow grade forgiveness for grades over X years old...but if you have any of the pre-reqs in there, those won't be acknowledged. So they don't just 'forgive' the grades, they kind of wipe the slate clean. Good grades and bad.

Each vet school is very different.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OSU does not have grade forgiveness either. Your grades are what they are and if they are not at least a C, then the class must be re-taken.
 
I know medical schools take your cumulative GPA and do not apply grade forgiveness, is this true of vet schools as well?

I know that if you had to retake a class Western wants you to list them both with each grade that you received, but they only use the 2nd (higher) grade for calculations.

I think I remember reading that Kansas lets you list the most recent grade for a class if you had to retake it, but I could be wrong...do any Kansas applicants know for sure?

I always say this (because I'd hate to be wrong in giving anyone advice about something so important)...but I'd call the schools you are interested in to find out. That way, it's directly from the horse's mouth. 🙂
 
OkSU (not to be confused with OSU mentioned above, which is Ohio) does not replace grades. If you take biochem once and make a D, then take it again and make a B, the university has this nifty little "academic forgiveness" program that allows you to replace the old grade for up to however many hours worth of credit. However, the vet school does not, so you essentially have a C in biochem. I'm not sure how it works for courses that are not prerequisites, though.