Question for thise who took both USMLE and COMLEX-I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optimistic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question is regarding the Kaplan classes.
Kaplan offers 2 -weeks live lecture course at my school , which is more comlex oriented ,in May I think.
But since I wanted to get started early I was thinking of buying the Med pass, in which they give you 30 visits to center and you have access to video USMLE lectures+ OMM videos for 6 months.

So those of you who took both exams, do you guys think Iam gonna be at disadvantage or be less prepared for COMLEX by watching USMLE oriented videos ??

I wanna do well on USMLE but not at the cost of COMLEX.

Please help:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I think that if you prepare for content, you will not be at a disadvantage, but if you prepare for a specific test structure, you could hurt yourself. This requires a more thorough understanding of all the principles and practices, but it should help you in the long run.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be careful about doing well on the USMLE at the expense of the COMLEX--its not too bad of an idea, except that your class rank may depend on your COMLEX 1 score as an osteopathic student (it does for NYCOM at least)....your board scores are probably more important though when applicants get screened.....either way, i think if you nail one you can do well on both...also, by and large, i think a lot of places wont even care about your comlex score if you have a usmle score that you can submit instead, but i do know someone who submitted only his usmle score when he applied to programs, and when he went to the cleveland clinic to interview, they asked him what he got on comlex...

Target the USMLE.

Best plan for you is to prepare for the USMLE, but make sure you memorize savorese's OMT book (especially the autonomics).

This is a great way to do well on both tests.

Originally posted by supahfresh
Target the USMLE.

Best plan for you is to prepare for the USMLE, but make sure you memorize savorese's OMT book (especially the autonomics).

This is a great way to do well on both tests.

Hey Supa:

Do you think Savarese may be a little overkill for COMLEX?

I haven't even looked inside the book but the sheer thickness scared me away from buying it! I don't want to buy books that I have no chance of reading all the way through.

By the way, does anyone know if we need to memorize Quackman's points?

Anyone?

if you buy the new 3rd ed. of Saverese.. half of that thickness is nothing but pages and pages of test questions..

all the M3's at NOVA said that they read his book for like a day and were golden for the test.

I would absolutely buy that book. It will take you no time memorizing all those little tidbits.

There are/were at least 70 questions alone on the autonomics. Those are EASY points!!!

I would get a hold of that book and spend maybe like a day or two. Very easy points. This will enable you to focus on the other high yield material common to both exams.

Note: COMLEX was slanted towards family practice type questions. USMLE focused more on path and questions were a little harder. Also USMLE had a ton of human behavior.

Oh, and as far as it being overkill....I hardly think a few days is overkill. You really want to maximize your score don't you?

I didn't realize it had all those questions in it.

No, I certainly don't mind a few days at all!

It just looked like that book was about 400 pages long so I didn't even pick it up--but I'll check it out soon!

Thanks guys

Some of you guys who are in the know......... if I'm taking both Comlex and USMLE which Kaplan q-bank is best to maximize my score on both tests, the regular Q-bank or the Comlex Q-bank?

Thanks

carpe

I took both tests and would recommend preparing for the USMLE and reading Savarese for OMT. The comlex test is, well....just bad. IT is just poorly written and completely random. In other words, it is hard to "specifically" study for. The best you can do is make sure you get your medical knowledge down just like you would for USMLE and then read Savarese the night before the test. Other than that I would just make sure you have your time management down for taking the COMLEX...it's a different strategy than taking USMLE. Good luck