question for those w/ bad eyesight

Started by eep29
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

eep29

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry for the crosspost for those who have already read this but I figured as much input as I can get is helpful...

This is a question for those currently in vet school with bad eyesight... has it hindered you and if so, how?

Here's my status: with contacts I see 20/60 at best, and I have monocular vision (can only see out of one eye). Now, I can see fine close up. Just not distances.

I'm concerned at the thought of doing surgery but I hear that they have magnifying tools for use during surgery. And my thought process is that when I graduate, I could specialize in a non-surgical specialty.

Does anyone have experience dealing with this and overcoming obstacles w/ vision? I feel as though I should be realistic so I thought I'd ask for peoples insight. I don't want to count myself out, I just want to be cognizant of what to expect.

Thanks!
user_offline.gif
 
One of my friends from high school was accepted to Cornell's vet school with vision that, from your description, is pretty similar to yours. She also has monocular vision (some useable vision in the worse eye but can't see shapes, only colors) and also has no peripheral vision in her other eye.

I've lost contact with her in the past couple of years but I wouldn't expect your vision to hold you back from becoming a vet. Sure, some things that require extreme visual detail work might be unrealistic for you, but there are plenty of things that you can do even with somewhat limited vision. You'll probably get a feel for the things that you can do without any limitation and the things that are more challenging for you while you're in school, and just like anyone else you'll choose your ultimate path within veterinary medicine based on your personal strengths and interests.