Question for VCOM Students/Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marlin1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since VCOM is new and does not yet have a solid reputation, what are the chances of securing a very good residency. Specifically, residencies in specialty areas, and not just primary care. I'm just curious if anyone has any relevant information that they could share. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest, I don't know. My guess is that you wouldn't have any problem with getting a primary care residency as some of those go to medical students from other countries, so you would certainly be competetive with them. As to specialties, you would certainly want to blow out your COMLEX and USMLE scores, have some awesome grades, and incredible LOR just to be sure. Even that may not guarantee you anything depending on "the people" where you apply to. Again, let me emphasize, I don't know. :confused:

for rotations... that all depends on Politics... for residency... I don't think it will make a big difference what school you went to. I would imagine they prefer having US trained physicians over FMG... but then again that depends on institute.

Don't let that be your deciding factor. SOmetimes the first few classes set the trend for future reputation.

Members don't see this ad :)
docbill said:
for rotations... that all depends on Politics... for residency... I don't think it will make a big difference what school you went to. I would imagine they prefer having US trained physicians over FMG... but then again that depends on institute.

Don't let that be your deciding factor. SOmetimes the first few classes set the trend for future reputation.

What would you insist that the deciding factor should be then?

marlin1 said:
What would you insist that the deciding factor should be then?
Good question! My response would be, don't let it be the "only" deciding factor. I'm in the same boat, deciding which school is best "overall." Big factors for me are price and location. I know I want to be in Virginia, East TN, or western NC. In state tuition is much cheaper than VCOM and that may sway my decision. We'll see.

These statements may not be relevant answers, but rather thoughts re: your question. I have just received an offer to attend VCOM and have been pondering over your question since I interviewed there. First of all, there is no real way (no evidence) to tell if VCOM graduates will be able to secure "competitive" residencies since the first class has not even taken the step 1 boards. The board scores for the first class will be interesting because generally lower MCAT scores "predict" board performance. So, with the avg. MCAT score around a 24, it will be interesting to see how their students perform which may or may not reveal how well VCOM prepares its students. I know VCOM does not place a lot of weight on the MCAT (read it in print) and actively searches for health care professionals, so this group may be statistically different than the average college grad….

With that said, I feel anecdotally that VCOM graduates will have equal access/opportunity to these residencies when compared to any D.O. school. Although their mission is rural medicine/primary care, they told me that they would be happy if 50% of the class enters this field. This mindset coupled with the requirement of the USMLE exam for graduation, I feel this school is preparing itself and students to be competitive in residency selection (specialties, etc.). Plus, its affiliation with VT for research, etc. (which is growing much faster than anticipated and eventually could become a research leader in terms of dollars for the D.O. world-- new research building proposed in addition to VT campus) will ultimately increase perceived "respect" & could help with residency selection for certain specialties. Only time will tell. Good luck.

bms said:
These statements may not be relevant answers, but rather thoughts re: your question. I have just received an offer to attend VCOM and have been pondering over your question since I interviewed there. First of all, there is no real way (no evidence) to tell if VCOM graduates will be able to secure "competitive" residencies since the first class has not even taken the step 1 boards. The board scores for the first class will be interesting because generally lower MCAT scores "predict" board performance. So, with the avg. MCAT score around a 24, it will be interesting to see how their students perform which may or may not reveal how well VCOM prepares its students. I know VCOM does not place a lot of weight on the MCAT (read it in print) and actively searches for health care professionals, so this group may be statistically different than the average college grad?.

With that said, I feel anecdotally that VCOM graduates will have equal access/opportunity to these residencies when compared to any D.O. school. Although their mission is rural medicine/primary care, they told me that they would be happy if 50% of the class enters this field. This mindset coupled with the requirement of the USMLE exam for graduation, I feel this school is preparing itself and students to be competitive in residency selection (specialties, etc.). Plus, its affiliation with VT for research, etc. (which is growing much faster than anticipated and eventually could become a research leader in terms of dollars for the D.O. world-- new research building proposed in addition to VT campus) will ultimately increase perceived "respect" & could help with residency selection for certain specialties. Only time will tell. Good luck.

They really told you that they would be happy if only 50% of their class went into primary care? Did you mention that you were interested in other fields or did they just say that? Also, did they say whether or not they help prepare you for the USMLE? Thanks for the replies!!!

marlin1 said:
They really told you that they would be happy if only 50% of their class went into primary care? Did you mention that you were interested in other fields or did they just say that? Also, did they say whether or not they help prepare you for the USMLE? Thanks for the replies!!!

Yes, they volunteered this information without me asking. This was presented to the interviewee group. Now, whether or not this is conjecture, I don't have an answer. Their mission is definitely primary care, BUT they really seemed excited about future research, genomics, etc. While they train all of their students to be great primary care docs, they realize the importance of providing a solid foundation for their students if they so choose to specialize. In response to your other question, I was honest with them…I told them I have not ruled in or out any area in medicine. Also, when I told them that I did not necessarily want to practice in a big city, they came back & said, well, there are plenty of underserved areas in a big city…which makes me think they realize that you don't have to only practice in a rural area as a primary care doc to care for the underserved.

Yes, they do help you with the USMLE…well, that is what they told me anyway. They referenced the USMLE several times when describing their classes, etc. throughout the interview day. Since they require it for graduation, they will have a vested interest in making sure you do well.

I forgot to mention one other negative (in my mind) about their program in my previous post. I am not sure about the case (clinical) diversity during the 3rd & 4th years. Depending on what you want to specialize in, you may be better off trying to attend a school in a large city setting with affiliations with LARGE hospitals to "ensure" diversity. This is just a quick opinion…I did not have a chance to tour the affiliated hospitals. However, realize that they do have access to most specialty departments for rotations, plus you can secure rotations elsewhere for your electives.

Hi,
VCOM has just partnered with HCA which is a great thing. I would call them and talk to Mr King about the doors that will be opened to us in rotations because of this partnership. Call and talk with Mr King if you are interested in finding out what a great thing this is for VCOM and it students. I don't want to misquote him.

Also keep in mind the years of experience Our Dean has as well as our staff. They know what to do in order to make a school successful. Don't let the newness of the school sway your decision to attend.

Even as first years, the profs are always throwing things to us they know are board topics and we have used quite a few previously given board questions to help us relate our first year classes to what will be on the boards in the topics we have studied.

Good luck where ever you may decide to go.
Amy

Amy B said:
Hi,
VCOM has just partnered with HCA which is a great thing. I would call them and talk to Mr King about the doors that will be opened to us in rotations because of this partnership. Call and talk with Mr King if you are interested in finding out what a great thing this is for VCOM and it students. I don't want to misquote him.

Also keep in mind the years of experience Our Dean has as well as our staff. They know what to do in order to make a school successful. Don't let the newness of the school sway your decision to attend.

Even as first years, the profs are always throwing things to us they know are board topics and we have used quite a few previously given board questions to help us relate our first year classes to what will be on the boards in the topics we have studied.

Good luck where ever you may decide to go.
Amy

Thanks for the help bms.

Amy, can I call Mr. King before I even interview there? And what is Mr. King's position? Also, what are your rotations looking like since you are there currently. VCOM is my top choice, and I'm really trying to feel the school out and know what I'm getting into. Thanks for the help.