Question from 4th yr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smallville

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th yr about to start this whole ERAS process and am interested in cleveland clinic, but my main question is with a score on the usmle step one of low 80s, where types of programs will I be competitive too?

It's hard to figure out where you stand and which programs one has a shot at getting into. Obviously, I've taken myself out of contention at the big name places, but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Smallville

Members don't see this ad.

What type of program are you applying to? I don't think anyone could speculate on the number you needed to attend a program of any variety at a particular institution. Low 80s would put you in the running for almost any psych program, but you'd be harder pressed for orthopedics.

Mindy

Sorry. I meant Internal Medicine. I can't be locked out of all half way descent programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm....well, the Cleveland Clinic is rather a "big name" as well. What does a score in the low '80s translate into triple digits to? (the double-digit score isn't really used anymore)

At any rate, IM is generally not competitive except at the top tier programs. However, it is difficult to say how competitive you would be because residency application review is NOT all about your USMLE scores. The total package is more often looked at than it was for medical school. Therefore, your grades, LORs, especially those in IM, and such are also important in the evaluation. The least competitive programs tend to be smaller community programs and inner city university based ones. Talk with your academic advisor or a member of your IM faculty and especially IM residents at your school about what programs might suit you and your application - they are generally the best source of information.

Definitely look at St Louis' program, it's a great program and I would have loved St Louis(translated St Louis Cardinals to be exact, notice Carddr...) but I wasn't interested in IM just used it as a back-up. They just got a new PD and I really liked him...so give it a shot.

3 digit number translates from 199 and up. Low 200s' anyway...as usual a tough place to be. But you are in the ball park for most IM programs, not counting the top tier. Good Luck!

Isn't SLU considered a top notch program?

How about programs on the east coast and in Chicago?

Thanks

SLU is a top notch program in some disciplines, but as I said they have a new PD and his comments were to me that he was taking a different philosophy than his predecessor, stated he would not be accepting as many IMGS'(sorry guys!), and building the strength of the program on a different level. Don't know anything about Chicago programs.