Question from AAMC #3 - Question 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD2BeWpg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize I am not supposed to post actual questions from the test. So I'm not.
I understand why the right answer is what it is. But can someone please tell me why they say that PbCl2 forms an aqueous solution in the following reaction?
PbCO3 + 2HCl --> PbCl2 (aq) + CO2 + H2O

Aren't all the halogens soluble EXCEPT with heavy metals and Ag, Pb and Hg???? Shouldn't PbCl2 be a solid????

Please Help!

Members don't see this ad.

I realize I am not supposed to post actual questions from the test. So I'm not.
I understand why the right answer is what it is. But can someone please tell me why they say that PbCl2 forms an aqueous solution in the following reaction?
PbCO3 + 2HCl --> PbCl2 (aq) + CO2 + H2O

Aren't all the halogens soluble EXCEPT with heavy metals and Ag, Pb and Hg???? Shouldn't PbCl2 be a solid????

Please Help!

Yeah that is true to a certain degree but if I remember correctly PbCl2 is still slightly soluble..that's probably the reason. not 100% sure though

Pbcl2 is sparingly soluble in acids and bases. However, it is not soluble in H2O. On larger scale, definitely not as soluble as any nitrate.

IIRC, insoluble is defined as a solubility of less than 3g per 100mL. So feasibly, you can add PbCl2 to a lot of water (let's say 3g in 10L) and that will be an aqueous solution (homeopathic PbCl2 :p). However, I'm not completely sure about this, someone else should verify.