1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Question from AAMC #3 - Question 1

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by MD2BeWpg, Aug 1, 2011.

1. MD2BeWpg

Pre-Medical
    I realize I am not supposed to post actual questions from the test. So I'm not.
    I understand why the right answer is what it is. But can someone please tell me why they say that PbCl2 forms an aqueous solution in the following reaction?
    PbCO3 + 2HCl --> PbCl2 (aq) + CO2 + H2O

Aren't all the halogens soluble EXCEPT with heavy metals and Ag, Pb and Hg???? Shouldn't PbCl2 be a solid????

Please Help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BeatMCAT

Yeah that is true to a certain degree but if I remember correctly PbCl2 is still slightly soluble..that's probably the reason. not 100% sure though

4. englishtablet

Pre-Medical
    Pbcl2 is sparingly soluble in acids and bases. However, it is not soluble in H2O. On larger scale, definitely not as soluble as any nitrate.

5. paul411

paul411 ANES
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    IIRC, insoluble is defined as a solubility of less than 3g per 100mL. So feasibly, you can add PbCl2 to a lot of water (let's say 3g in 10L) and that will be an aqueous solution (homeopathic PbCl2 :p). However, I'm not completely sure about this, someone else should verify.