Question from an ER resident - skin tags

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pinipig523

I like my job!
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question - small skin tags (we're talking something 2-3mm or smaller). When you excise it from the base, do you throw in a stitch or just let it heal via secondary intention?

Thanks - I'm at a county program, we try not to overload the derm clinic.
 
Question - small skin tags (we're talking something 2-3mm or smaller). When you excise it from the base, do you throw in a stitch or just let it heal via secondary intention?

Thanks - I'm at a county program, we try not to overload the derm clinic.

Check with the folks in the derm clinic as they will be able to provide you with the advice you seek. 🙂
 
when i get my first skin tag I'm going to the ED to get it treated. but only after it's been there for several years. then i'll treat it as an emergency.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question - small skin tags (we're talking something 2-3mm or smaller). When you excise it from the base, do you throw in a stitch or just let it heal via secondary intention?

Thanks - I'm at a county program, we try not to overload the derm clinic.

Always secondary intention, I can't think of a single skin tag where I sutured the base. Do people actually show up to the ER for skin tags??
 
Always secondary intention, I can't think of a single skin tag where I sutured the base. Do people actually show up to the ER for skin tags??

Oh my friend... people show up to the ER for everything. Including male pattern baldness.

Thanks all.
 
I had someone show up one time for neck pain...from sleeping the wrong the way the night prior. Another one was 'My arms hurt'....'Ok, have you done anything recently that would have caused trauma or injury to your arms?'..."Well, yeah, I just started lifting weights last week"

:\