Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Question, need your wisdom!

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by Crookshanks, May 8, 2007.

1. Crookshanks

Pre-Medical
    Hi all,

I thought you guys might have some insight on my dilemma.

I will be graduating undergrad in May 2008. I have a child, and I need to start working to support us. I would like to start medical school Fall 2009. My application process will begin in Summer 2008 at the earliest, because I'll be taking MCAT in May 2008 at the earliest. I'm assuming some of you must have found yourselves in a similar situation at some point. Done with school, but, applying to med school, and having to work. What do you do for med school during that time? Just wait and see if you get accepted, or do you continue volunteering, taking classes...what? Especially in my shoes, considering there isn't much space for these extra things when you've got a family and a full time job.

I hope some of you might be able to give me some advice. Much appreciated, in advance.

~Julie

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Crookshanks

Pre-Medical
    Did I forget to say please?

4. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California

Attending Physician
    Assuming you've completed all your prereqs, I'd make sure that I continued volunteering. I don't think night classes are necessary unless it's been a while since your prereqs.

But make sure you show a continuity of interest in pursuing medicine. Volunteering is a nice way to do this and keeps your AMCAS app looking current. And make sure to give yourself enough time to study for the MCAT.

Best of luck to you...

5. Crookshanks

Pre-Medical
    Thank you very much. Sounds good, besides I LOVE the place I volunteer at. There really isn't much else one could do, is their?

6. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    If you can find time to volunteer - do what you can. My med school seemed to be understanding about the time constraints in being a parent. Maybe it depends on what schools you are applying to and how competitive the applicants are.

7. Crookshanks

Pre-Medical
    I've been thinking....during that year "off" (from school), what should I do? In terms of a job. Do you think the job I get matters to the adcoms? Should it be related to healthcare? Should it be related to my major (spanish)? Could it be a random job - like at a fast food place? What if I went into teaching? Would they look down on any of these options? Thoughts...?

8. Crookshanks

Pre-Medical
    Like....what do you think of this idea...since my major is Spanish, and I'm interested in health care, would it be wise to work as a medical receptionist during that year (somewhere where they want a bilingual one)? Or would this be a horrible idea? And if so, why?

I just won't have the time to go and get certified for becoming a professional medical interpreter....otherwise I'd consider that too.

Thoughts?

9. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]

I think thats a very good idea. If possible, try to do something that you could actually do the interpreting in the room with the patient and physician. You'll be working on your medical spanish and getting clinical experience at the same time.

10. Crookshanks

Pre-Medical
    That's what I do at the place that I volunteer at....I LOVE it!

But to do that professionally, it's much harder (in terms of finding a job!). I've been looking on line for a while and don't see any such "job openings", hence I thought of the medical receptionist thing....lots of offices around here want them to be bilingual...

11. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    I like the idea. It's a nice way to mesh your skills. Some medical schools actually offer medical Spanish classes, so that might be something you'd be interested in doing if you can take night classes and they have that option available where you live.

12. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Do you live in a large city? I think that there would be quite a few free clinics that would need the help. You may not get paid well, but it seems like there would be a need.

Could you ask if the place that you are volunteering at could make your work more permanent?

13. Crookshanks

Pre-Medical
    No, the place I volunteer at is TOTALLY made up of volunteers. No one gets paid anything, it's run by a couple of churches. All the doctors and nurses are volunteers too.

14. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    I'll tell you honestly -- I was a reapp and thus had a "lag year". I was asked what i did during that time - and I honestly replied that I fixed up my house. And then I explained "fixed up": ripped out carpet, laid hardwood floor, gutted the kitchen to the subfloor and studs, tore out the bathroom, gorund down cement floors in the lower level to add tile, paint, change light fixtures, landscaping, built a porch, patched the roof, installed new cabinets, painted, took down popcorn ceiling... etc, and I added I was enjoying my last year as a full-time mom to two children. I got a lot of wide-eyed looks, a few "wow, want to come to my house?" and one guy asked if I was interested in orthopaedics since I could use power tools.

I did, however, have over 10 years of experience as a paramedic, so medical experience wasn't high on my list of priorities.