Question of the day for students who are M1 and beyond

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

openstage

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is not an overly vital question. Just a topic to pass the time while we wait....

It's interesting (terrifying) to read about the posted cost of attendance at each school, in different cities. One common theme I've heard a few times is that schools seem to overestimate the COA for their city or area. In particular: room and board, transportation, insurance, food, various. Now that you've lived there a year or two, my questions are as follows:

• How much did your institution overestimate the annual COA vs what you actually needed to spend?
  • Or were they pretty accurate overall?
  • What are some areas that you have been able to save money on?

Thanks for your time,

Members don't see this ad.

Schools tend to overestimate COA- usually, I've seen that they will estimate housing to be about 25-50% higher than it actually is, especially if you live with roommates. All of this depends on how frugal you are (such as if you shop at Whole Foods or at a discount grocer).

I would be screwed if they didn’t overestimate because I have a family and my wife isn’t planning on working much (if at all)

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users