question on 4th yr electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deepa100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
So, we start interviewing soon into 4th yr, right after taking the boards (typically). I am trying to schedule some rotations Aug-Dec. I am interested in internal medicine. I am not sure if I have to be doing those rotations while attending the interviews. In other words, is it ok to tell the program directors etc. I plan to do more electives in internal medicine but not doing them yet? Or do they expect to see you doing those electives as you continue with the interviewing process? I ask because I feel I should do rotations that will allow me to travel as needed rather than like a killer general surgery:eek: or something like that.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
So, we start interviewing soon into 4th yr, right after taking the boards (typically). I am trying to schedule some rotations Aug-Dec. I am interested in internal medicine. I am not sure if I have to be doing those rotations while attending the interviews. In other words, is it ok to tell the program directors etc. I plan to do more electives in internal medicine but not doing them yet? Or do they expect to see you doing those electives as you continue with the interviewing process? I ask because I feel I should do rotations that will allow me to travel as needed rather than like a killer general surgery:eek: or something like that.
Thanks!

Internal Medicine doesn't care what you do. You know medical school applications? It was 80% you selling yourself and 20% the school selling itself to you. With IM residencies, there are SO many spots, in SO many locations, its the reverse. 80% us selling ourselves, 20% selling yourself.

Doing internal medicine electives is up to you. If you want more exposure to a particular field, go nuts. Realistically, you should give yourself exposure to things you aren't going to encounter in your residency (radiology dedicated to Xrays and CTs, ortho for a good shoulder or knee exam). It is NOT impressive or more desirable to hear from an applicant that is all medicine all the time. This isn't optho or uro.

Basically, do what you want. Worrying about whether or not a program will know you intend to do internal medicine rotations screams wierdo, not dedication. Do something else with your life besides work! Its ok. In residency, we'll show you what you need to know.

Definitely do easy rotations during interview season. Period. Makes life 100 times easier.