Question on a Doctor License that was Reprimanded

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BidingMyTime

Lost Shaker Of Salt
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This was on the IL disciplinary list:

"physician and surgeon license reprimanded after he withdrew from participation as a provider of medical services in Illinois Medical Assistance Program."


Is this saying what I think it's saying? That the state can reprimand a doctor's license if the doctor not to participate in Medicaid anymore? I assume pharmacies can also now be reprimanded if they decide not to contract with Medicaid or its HMOS's? Or is this saying something else?
 
Forced withdrawal seems most likely but if you did so abruptly you could face charges of patient abandonment.

California major health systems stop renewing contracts with managed care Medicaid plans (UC Davis in 2015 with Health Net and Sutter Health with Anthem Blue Cross in 2017 in my area) and I don't think they would face any sanction because they provide ample notice and issue Rx to cover patients' transition to other providers that take their plans.

As for pharmacies Walgreens doesn't even contract with 3 out of 4 Medi-Cal managed care plans (excluding Kaiser obviously) in my area. I don't think Walgreens was involuntarily excluded from participation but all of these Medicaid plans are cheap as **** so why would they want to. CVS is a different story since 2 of them have Caremark administering the pharmacy benefit (duh)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I bet if it was some sort of forced withdrawal - you could google his/her name and might find something out???

Good idea, I did try googling. I didn't find anything incriminating, but I did find out his specialty and that he has been in practice for 50 years.