Question on community college credits

mathlegend

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to take multivariable calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra during high school, and possibly organic chem. When I apply to med/pod school, will they take into account my grades from the community college, even if it was taken during my high school years?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the school. Some will, some won't. Keep in mind, though, that some schools will NOT accept community college credits for mandatory pre-reqs (i.e., ochem). For these schools, you'll have to take it at your university anyway.

Thanks for the response. Some schools as in the med/pod schools? If I have to retake math at an university...I'd rather not take it now. But ochem...I like chem! I don't think I'd mind taking that over

Members don't see this ad :)
They might take the credit, they wont take the grade. Its all about talking to the office in the college/university that handles these affairs.

I'm planning to take multivariable calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra during high school, and possibly organic chem. When I apply to med/pod school, will they take into account my grades from the community college, even if it was taken during my high school years?

My experience is with dental admissions, but I'm fairly certain this is similar for all health profession schools. I haven't heard of any schools that wouldn't take math from the community college. I have heard of a few schools that say they won't take pre-reqs from the community college, but many of those schools are more than willing to bend their rules - I was accepted into a dental school which claimed they took NO community college credit for pre-reqs after I took ALL of my pre-reqs at my community college. I was also accepted to an Ivy League school.

Most schools say that they would prefer you take pre-reqs at the university level, but often it's difficult. Say if you wanted to transfer to UCLA from a CC, UCLA requires you to take G-chem and O-chem before you transfer. More often than not if you don't take any pre-reqs before you transfer, you are FAR behind your fellow classmates, and you'll likely need an additional year or two to graduate because of class conflicts.

As long as you can prove to Adcoms that you can cut it at the university level by doing well in upper division science classes, it's really not a big deal that you took pre-reqs at a community college (unless it's against the school policy or something). Also, doing well on your pre-health standardized test also goes a long way to prove yourself. People for some reason have a stigma that community college sciences classes are easy A's - which is incorrect - and while this stigma is still in place, we just have to play ball.

Lastly, AADSAS, and I've heard it's the same for AAMCAS and PHARMCAS... or however you spell those...lumps all your grades together no matter where they are from, so they will count all grades at the college level (even if taken during high school) towards your GPA. I had an HTML class that I took in the 7th grade give me three units of A towards my GPA, pretty sweet!

Thanks. I wouldn't mind if the university just takes the credit, shouldn't matter too much. Though would it look bad if I took ochem at cc but took it again at an university? I'm just planning to get my math prereqs done with at a cc during hs. No more math in college! =D

If the schools bend their rules, why have those rules? Just because they prefer the applicants not to take the prereqs from a cc?

Dang, I got a B on a bio class that I took last year. I didn't care much about it, but if only I'd known that med/pod schools will look at it! Oh well, now I'll just have to get an A at an university when I take bio again :)

Thanks. I wouldn't mind if the university just takes the credit, shouldn't matter too much. Though would it look bad if I took ochem at cc but took it again at an university? I'm just planning to get my math prereqs done with at a cc during hs. No more math in college! =D

If the schools bend their rules, why have those rules? Just because they prefer the applicants not to take the prereqs from a cc?

Dang, I got a B on a bio class that I took last year. I didn't care much about it, but if only I'd known that med/pod schools will look at it! Oh well, now I'll just have to get an A at an university when I take bio again :)

It wouldn't look bad, it would just look... odd? It would also be kinda a waste of a year of classes. If you're going to be starting a university after high school, you might as well wait just to avoid any hassle. Are you home schooled or something?

As far as having rules, I agree, there's no point in having a rule you're going to break, but the schools reserve the right to take people they like no matter the situation I guess.

And don't worry about one B, it won't kill you -once you get 2 D's like I did come back and talk to me about that, haha! ;p

It wouldn't look bad, it would just look... odd? It would also be kinda a waste of a year of classes. If you're going to be starting a university after high school, you might as well wait just to avoid any hassle. Are you home schooled or something?

As far as having rules, I agree, there's no point in having a rule you're going to break, but the schools reserve the right to take people they like no matter the situation I guess.

And don't worry about one B, it won't kill you -once you get 2 D's like I did come back and talk to me about that, haha! ;p
Nah, I go to a regular high school. Chem intrigues me, I thought if I take ochem, might open more doors for research opportunities the summer after graduation from hs or in undergrad. I don't have much planned for senior year so far, basically just AP english, gov/econ, orchestra, biotech!

Heh...makes me feel better! (About the Ds)

I just remmebered a very smart thing you can do....The program that your highschool and the community college are affiliated with MUST have some senior college that accepts all credits from there. If you would go to that specific college then they must accept the credits.

Nah, I go to a regular high school. Chem intrigues me, I thought if I take ochem, might open more doors for research opportunities the summer after graduation from hs or in undergrad. I don't have much planned for senior year so far, basically just AP english, gov/econ, orchestra, biotech!

Heh...makes me feel better! (About the Ds)

Well that's a really good sign that you're taking college classes (and high level ones at that), and it'll go a long way to show Adcoms how dedicated you are. Taking a college class during high school is much better than taking it's AP equivalent, you're really playing in the big leagues instead of just trying to represent a semester of a college class in an entire year.

Your senior schedule looks good, it actually looks like just my senior schedule was minus biotech, and plus anatomy and Virtual Enterprise. Go go orchestra... first chair percussion all through high school here! :D

And don't worry too much about your classes not being accepted, as long as they're not remedial classes, they will almost certainly be accepted at any school for your undergrad degree - and though unlikely, if they don't want to take it as a particular class that they have, you'll still get units. And remember that the GPA at one of your colleges doesn't matter, it's everything together. But again, don't stress, right now you're much better off than other high school students, so keep up the good work!

Well that's a really good sign that you're taking college classes (and high level ones at that), and it'll go a long way to show Adcoms how dedicated you are. Taking a college class during high school is much better than taking it's AP equivalent, you're really playing in the big leagues instead of just trying to represent a semester of a college class in an entire year.

Your senior schedule looks good, it actually looks like just my senior schedule was minus biotech, and plus anatomy and Virtual Enterprise. Go go orchestra... first chair percussion all through high school here! :D

And don't worry too much about your classes not being accepted, as long as they're not remedial classes, they will almost certainly be accepted at any school for your undergrad degree - and though unlikely, if they don't want to take it as a particular class that they have, you'll still get units. And remember that the GPA at one of your colleges doesn't matter, it's everything together. But again, don't stress, right now you're much better off than other high school students, so keep up the good work!

Nice! First chair violist for two years so far, hopefully also for next two years! Sounds like your school offers a wider variety of classes than mine. Mine just offers AP/CP english, AP/CP histories (no AP history freshman year though), French/Spanish up to AP level, math up to AP Calc BC/AP Stats, AP/CP bio/chem/physics + APES, PE, journalism, yearbook, psych/sociology, nutrition, music, drama...yea nothing too special!

Thanks! I'm planning on attending a UC (I live in California) so the credit transfer for these classes will transfer over, no problem. Everything lumped together...sounds good so far, hopefully my college grades will be good too...well I got 2 more years of high school first!

Nice! First chair violist for two years so far, hopefully also for next two years! Sounds like your school offers a wider variety of classes than mine. Mine just offers AP/CP english, AP/CP histories (no AP history freshman year though), French/Spanish up to AP level, math up to AP Calc BC/AP Stats, AP/CP bio/chem/physics + APES, PE, journalism, yearbook, psych/sociology, nutrition, music, drama...yea nothing too special!

Thanks! I'm planning on attending a UC (I live in California) so the credit transfer for these classes will transfer over, no problem. Everything lumped together...sounds good so far, hopefully my college grades will be good too...well I got 2 more years of high school first!

Yeah, my high school offered tons of AP classes... it was like 3-4 AP classes REQUIRED for all seniors, and then we had a pre-health and a pre-business pathway, and after deciding to go dental at the end of my sophomore year, they let me take classes from the pre-health side too. Oxford Academy in Cypress, CA, best ranked high school in the state, Go Patriots! Hehehe.

But yeah, the CA CC system is like the best in the country, and you'll find lots of quality teachers and classes, and the UC systems is really well integrated with it all. If you want to see if your classes will transfer, go to ASSIST.org , it's a really great site to go to just to make sure you're taking the right classes.

I just graduated from UCI, (Go ANTEATERS!), and the UC system is very high quality, with lots of research opportunities. I just got an actual scientific journal in the mail today with my first published abstract!

Yeah, my high school offered tons of AP classes... it was like 3-4 AP classes REQUIRED for all seniors, and then we had a pre-health and a pre-business pathway, and after deciding to go dental at the end of my sophomore year, they let me take classes from the pre-health side too. Oxford Academy in Cypress, CA, best ranked high school in the state, Go Patriots! Hehehe.

But yeah, the CA CC system is like the best in the country, and you'll find lots of quality teachers and classes, and the UC systems is really well integrated with it all. If you want to see if your classes will transfer, go to ASSIST.org , it's a really great site to go to just to make sure you're taking the right classes.

I just graduated from UCI, (Go ANTEATERS!), and the UC system is very high quality, with lots of research opportunities. I just got an actual scientific journal in the mail today with my first published abstract!
Dang, all three sound awesome!