Question on Dean's Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gunneria

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to idea of the dean's letter (read some previous threads). Coming from a P/F program, academically, so far grades haven't been much of the issue (finishing pretty good around middle of the pack with strong passing). However, there have been more personal issues, hopefully somewhat not an issue this early over my first year (i.e. tardiness issues from PBL groups and lab evals and an incident of having to consult the Dean for a brief medical leave/permission last minute of absence for a few days, allowing me postpone exam). Overall, I think 1st year of med school has been both fun and a challenge for me, especially with some hinderances such as a chronic medical problems that I'm hoping to resolve/deal with over this summer. I also hope to improve some of the negative remarks (i.e.- tardiness) during 2nd year and most importantly, 3rd year, where clerkship evals play a big role. Just curious, but what are some issues that merit comments (both positive and negative) that make you stand out?

Additionally, in general, perhaps in the "recommendations category," does the Dean's letter carry a lot of weight a.) vs. other recommendations such as department chairs and b.) vs. perhaps academic factors-research, AOA, USMLE scores down the road for residencies?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to idea of the dean's letter (read some previous threads). Coming from a P/F program, academically, so far grades haven't been much of the issue (finishing pretty good around middle of the pack with strong passing). However, there have been more personal issues, hopefully somewhat not an issue this early over my first year (i.e. tardiness issues from PBL groups and lab evals and an incident of having to consult the Dean for a brief medical leave/permission last minute of absence for a few days, allowing me postpone exam). Overall, I think 1st year of med school has been both fun and a challenge for me, especially with some hinderances such as a chronic medical problems that I'm hoping to resolve/deal with over this summer. I also hope to improve some of the negative remarks (i.e.- tardiness) during 2nd year and most importantly, 3rd year, where clerkship evals play a big role. Just curious, but what are some issues that merit comments (both positive and negative) that make you stand out?

Additionally, in general, perhaps in the "recommendations category," does the Dean's letter carry a lot of weight a.) vs. other recommendations such as department chairs and b.) vs. perhaps academic factors-research, AOA, USMLE scores down the road for residencies?

Thanks.

Yeah, none of that tardiness crap gets on the dean's letter. At least it wasnt on mine. They mostly summarize your evaluations from 3rd year rotations and give residency programs your general class rank. How much weight your Dean's letter is given, it really depends on which specialty you're applying to.