Question on MCAT studying technique???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sng33

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you guys studied whether using, Bets, PR Science Review, or Kaplan Comprehensive review what technique did you use:
1. Did you simply read and re-read and then take practice tests.

2. Did you read and highlight, and go over highlighted material, and then take practice tests.

3. Or did you read the books and take your own notes on each of the section, go over your own notes, and then take practice tests.

4. Just took practice tests, and then went over all answers.

I would apprecite insight from people who have already taken the MCAT so we have results, to get a better idea of the more successfull technique.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Read. Read with the attitude of getting concepts, not details.
2. Highlight in a manner such that you can read just the highlights and know exactly what you need to remember. (i.e. key words, key phrases)
3. Practice problems
4. Make notecards of details you are expected to know (e.g. function of insulin) but have trouble remembering
5. Re-read highlighted stuff in case of conceptual difficulties.

Repeat steps 3-5 ad nauseum.

I hope it worked for me. I'll find out in a little over a month, but it worked well for my practice tests.

(By the way this was my second time taking it, and it was much more effective than just reading the material and doing 1-2 full lengths. I guess you can guess how I did on the first one.)

combination of 3 and 4 - I did a lot of reading, wrote out a lot of my own notes. I'd take a test every so often to see where I was at, and I learned more from the "right" answers then I thought I would. It depends how many classes you've had too - for me the a lot of the topics were review. If it's something you've never had or seen before then I'd reccomend highlighting and learning as much about the basic concepts (however you can).
I'd reccomend taking as many practice tests as you can - they help get your mind into that way of thinking, and really take the mystery out of the actual test day. (did for me anyway!)

I took as many practice tests as possible, using as many sources as I could find. One way I did that was call all the bookstores in my area that carried MCAT test prep materials. I asked them very nicely to call me when they got their new supply in, because many of them have the year on the cover, and told them that I would buy all the 'outdated' ones that they were going to take off the shelf anyway. I got half a dozen different books that way for less than 5.00 each.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did number 1. I just read everything out of my review book over and over again. I did practice tests and questions along the way. Took 3 practice tests around the beginning, middle and end to guage where I was and what weak points I needed to study more.

I took a Kapan course. I went thruogh all the readings and did the end of chapter questions. I didn't keep up nor did I do everything that was assigned, and it hurt me. I didn't really start doing a lot of practice passages until a few weeks before the test. Also, if I didn't fully understand something, I never really took the time ot learn it. So since there's still time for you August MCATers, learn what you don't know! And do lots of practice passages--you can know the material and still do poorly if you don't know how to do the passages well.

Three words: practice, practice, practice.
take as many practice tests and mini-tests as you can. Kaplan is best bc of all the resources, topical tests, section tests, full-length tests. studying is important, but spend the six weeks before the test doing only light review but tons of practice passages. good luck