Question on Medically Underserved Area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future_Bone_Docta

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some insight on navigating this website. So I am trying to designate my county according to the website MUA Find.

When I put my county in it, no data actually pops up. It does not give me anything. However, when I put my neighboring county (probably <10 min drive) it says it is a MUA. So would it be safe to assume that my county would also be medically underserved? Just trying to make sure I don't give myself the wrong designation. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Looking for some insight on navigating this website. So I am trying to designate my county according to the website MUA Find.

When I put my county in it, no data actually pops up. It does not give me anything. However, when I put my neighboring county (probably <10 min drive) it says it is a MUA. So would it be safe to assume that my county would also be medically underserved?
Why would you assume that?

Reactions: 2 users
OP, to demonstrate why your logic doesn’t quite hold up, go look up the median household income of Fairfield, CT. Then compare to that of Bridgeport, CT, which is also about 10 minutes away.

Living near a MUA does not mean you are also from a MUA.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OP, to demonstrate why your logic doesn’t quite hold up, go look up the median household income of Fairfield, CT. Then compare to that of Bridgeport, CT, which is also about 10 minutes away.

Living near a MUA does not mean you are also from a MUA.

That's a good point. I guess I just speculated since something like access to healthcare is in a sense geographically dependant (PCP's in area, clinics around, etc), there would be some sort of conclusion that could be made from neighboring areas, my mistake!

To your knowledge is there any other websites that would be able to provide information about MUA designation to my specific county? I may try to reach out to the hrsa's phone number to the website and dig deeper to see if I can get a definitive answer as well.

If you're applying, AMCAS puts a capital letter next to your county indicating whether it's underserved on your app. My county was marked as underserved but I live in a well of area though so like others have said there's microenvironment