Volunteer with Underserved Population in another Country

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I’m wondering if I could count the volunteer hours for when I volunteered in a different country towards service hours. For context, the volunteer service was buying grocery for elders living in poverty and going to their homes to distribute the groceries. It’s hosted by a local nonprofit organization. I am also wondering if this would be looked down upon since it’s not volunteer inside the US.
 
Welcome to the forums. How many hours are we talking about? Is this in a border town like Tijiuana? Have you done anything similar to it in the United States since?
Hi, it’s about 200 hours in China. I have also done about 150 hours of working in a soup kitchen for homeless people in the US. I visit China a lot during summer to see my family so that’s why I volunteered there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I’m wondering if I could count the volunteer hours for when I volunteered in a different country towards service hours. For context, the volunteer service was buying grocery for elders living in poverty and going to their homes to distribute the groceries. It’s hosted by a local nonprofit organization. I am also wondering if this would be looked down upon since it’s not volunteer inside the US.
You could add it, but I don't expect it would count for much.

My first thought upon reading what you did was "why didn't you couldn't you do that for poor American elders????"
 
You could add it, but I don't expect it would count for much.

My first thought upon reading what you did was "why didn't you couldn't you do that for poor American elders????"
I just did it because I happened to come across this opportunity when I went back. If I find a similar program in the US, I would still do it too. Thanks for your help though!
 
You could add it, but I don't expect it would count for much.

My first thought upon reading what you did was "why didn't you couldn't you do that for poor American elders????"
The soup kitchen people at a black cat: "Sir, we have told you multiple times that it is only ONE bowl per visit"

But I agree. Every time I see students wanting to go abroad, I think, "why not serve undeserved populations here in the US?" There's so many, and so many great opportunities to make a difference.

In OP's case though, they were visiting and it was an opportunity that came up, so I think that's fine, esp. since OP has ties to the area and has done similar volunteering here 🙂
 
Hi, I’m wondering if I could count the volunteer hours for when I volunteered in a different country towards service hours. For context, the volunteer service was buying grocery for elders living in poverty and going to their homes to distribute the groceries. It’s hosted by a local nonprofit organization. I am also wondering if this would be looked down upon since it’s not volunteer inside the US.
Hi, it’s about 200 hours in China. I have also done about 150 hours of working in a soup kitchen for homeless people in the US. I visit China a lot during summer to see my family so that’s why I volunteered there.
I don't see any issue with volunteering locally when you are in another country for school, work, or (in your case) during summer vacation visiting family. It's praiseworthy to help out your local community, which in your case just happens to be outside the US for a few months every year.

The type of international volunteering that's frowned upon is when you go to another country to volunteer (i.e. voluntourism).

Just be sure to mention your background (visiting family during summer vacations) when talking about this experience on your application, and you'll be fine. Just my thoughts
 
The soup kitchen people at a black cat: "Sir, we have told you multiple times that it is only ONE bowl per visit"

But I agree. Every time I see students wanting to go abroad, I think, "why not serve undeserved populations here in the US?" There's so many, and so many great opportunities to make a difference.

In OP's case though, they were visiting and it was an opportunity that came up, so I think that's fine, esp. since OP has ties to the area and has done similar volunteering here 🙂
Thanks for your input!
 
I don't see any issue with volunteering locally when you are in another country for school, work, or (in your case) during summer vacation visiting family. It's praiseworthy to help out your local community, which in your case just happens to be outside the US for a few months every year.

The type of international volunteering that's frowned upon is when you go to another country to volunteer (i.e. voluntourism).

Just be sure to mention your background (visiting family during summer vacations) when talking about this experience on your application, and you'll be fine. Just my thoughts
I’ll make sure to mention the background. Thanks so much!