booshwa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2001
SoCal
Status (Visible)
Hey I have an easy question (easy for those in the know)...

what would you say that "peripheral reflexes were excessive and the muscles were hyperreponsive" means?

know any conditions that may cause this?

...any info would be a help cuz I can't find anything on it

nutmegs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2003
Status (Visible)
use "hyperreflexia" to search. maybe upper motor neuron lesions/spastic paralysis. they have to have given you more to go on than that.

booshwa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2001
SoCal
Status (Visible)
well they didn't give me much beyond that...

patient is hyperkalemic...so I'm thinking that it may have something to do with abnormal membrane potentials within the skeletal muscular membranes

i've searched for "hyperreflexia" to no avail.

thanks for your help

About the Ads

omarsaleh66

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
temecula ca
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
hyperflexia deals with upper motor neuron lesions so the patient got problems in the brain or spinal cord. Its not peripheral nerves cuz that would give ur hypoflexive.

conditions that cause hyperflexia can be things like cerebral artery damage, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, pernicous anemia, transections of the spinal cord (tumors), medulla lesions

maybe the dude's hyperkalemia screwed up his neurons and affecting his CNS??

gluck,

Omar

goobernaculum

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2003
Status (Visible)
hypereflexia and hyper-responsive muscles (I'm assuming the latter means that the muscles are spastic or increased in tone) are signs of upper motor neuron disorders.

Other than that, you can't really localize the lesion and make any other diagnostic steps unless you got more info.

Kalel

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2004
Metropolis
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by goobernaculum
hypereflexia and hyper-responsive muscles (I'm assuming the latter means that the muscles are spastic or increased in tone) are signs of upper motor neuron disorders.

Other than that, you can't really localize the lesion and make any other diagnostic steps unless you got more info.

Yup, upper motor neurons provide inhibitory signals. When there is an upper motor lesion, the neurons involved in reflexes are over-active because inhibitory signals are lost. That's the most common reason for hyper-reflexia; but the differential for hyperreflexia is very broad including everything from normal physiologic response to certain metabolic and endocrine disorders.

nutmegs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by booshwa
well they didn't give me much beyond that...

patient is hyperkalemic...so I'm thinking that it may have something to do with abnormal membrane potentials within the skeletal muscular membranes

i've searched for "hyperreflexia" to no avail.

thanks for your help

yup yup... was thinking neuro and not physio : )

with hyperkalemia Em becomes less negative so the cell will depolarize more readily.

pikachu

15+ Year Member
Hyperkalemia causes prolonged depolarization of the muscle cell, which ultimately stops working as it becomes overstimulated. so hyperkalemia is usually associated w/ muscle weakness, decreased reflexes, and flaccid paralysis if it goes on long enough. The worst effects of hyperkalemia are seen in the heart, where it can cause fatal arrhythmias. (this is straight out of Harrison's)

one thing that could be associated with hyperkalemia is prolonged seizure activity (causes muscle breakdown and release of potassium into the blood). I guess you could create a scenario where a patient with a brain tumor/stroke or some other kind of central nervous system lesion has a prolonged seizure and becomes hyperkalemic but stays hyper-reflexic because of their CNS lesion. This is kind of a stretch though I think.

ewing

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2003
In da house!
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by the_equalizer
isn't one of the symptoms of hyperkalemia actually peripheral hyperreflexia?

Thanks...now I can stop hunting those pesky zebras (well, unless they want a Diff. Diag.).

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.