1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

question on nucleopilic substitution/elimination

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by yahoogoogle, Jul 24, 2006.

1. yahoogoogle

yahoogoogle Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    to determine whether the reaction is Sn2 or E2(especially for secondary), we need to know the strength of the basicity of the attacking nucleophilic, which is quite abitrary. so what's the strategy to tackle this type of problems on dat?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lintydent

lintydent member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    If they give you the product, then one obvious way to determine between the two is that E2 will give you an alkene, Sn2 will not...and in addition, the E2 rxn is an "elimination" of the leaving group, while Sn2 is the "substitution" of a leaving group for a strong nucleophile.

4. Yellow Snow

Yellow Snow Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I don't see how they can make it too specific because if you have a secondary w/ an ambiguous nu: the major product might barely dominate. I am hoping it will mostly be a bulky base leading me to E2 over Sn2.

Also, heat promotes E2 over Sn2? Not that I have seen any practice questions w/ heat.