question on ptcas about academic record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sm521

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I was wondering if anyone else has clicked the response "No" for the question on the PTCAS application "Does your academic record accurately reflect your capabilities? If no, describe why it does not. Present any information that may assist the admissions committee in interpreting and evaluating your academic history or credentials."

I was wondering how much detail I should go into for this question. I have an abnormal academic record since I have transferred schools and switched majors quite a few times, so it has taken me a while to get to where I am now. I like that the application gives me a chance to defend and explain my academic past, but I also don't want to bore the admissions committee with my life story.

Any tips or words of wisdom anyone can provide?
Thank you in advance for your input !

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey all. I was wondering if anyone else has clicked the response "No" for the question on the PTCAS application "Does your academic record accurately reflect your capabilities? If no, describe why it does not. Present any information that may assist the admissions committee in interpreting and evaluating your academic history or credentials."

I was wondering how much detail I should go into for this question. I have an abnormal academic record since I have transferred schools and switched majors quite a few times, so it has taken me a while to get to where I am now. I like that the application gives me a chance to defend and explain my academic past, but I also don't want to bore the admissions committee with my life story.

Any tips or words of wisdom anyone can provide?
Thank you in advance for your input !

Tell your story -- Sell yourself. I was in a similar situation (poor GPA) and had to overcome this (see the "Imperfect Candidate" thread. I used this section to write a quick blurb about my situation and included the fact that my GPA trended upward over the course of my academic career. Don't worry about boring admissions. Worry about setting yourself apart from the other applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
TBH, short of having some traumatic event or death that is the explanation, I wouldn't even bother filling this part in. It doesn't set you apart changing majors, transferring, ect vs. some life altering event that explains what happened. Just my opinion.