Question on Residency/Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DannMann99

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm an osteopathic MSIV applying into acgme PMR programs.

I'm confused about internships.

Should I apply to AOA Traditional years?

or should I apply to ACGME transitional years... Will programs care? I've heard some will make you repeat in an acgme transitional year if you go AOA.

Help.

-Dan

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm an osteopathic MSIV applying into acgme PMR programs.

I'm confused about internships.

Should I apply to AOA Traditional years?

or should I apply to ACGME transitional years... Will programs care? I've heard some will make you repeat in an acgme transitional year if you go AOA.

Help.

-Dan

ACGME TY programs are going to be pretty competitive. OTOH, many AOA TY's are not.
No one is going to make you repeat your internship.

w/o opening up a can of worms here, if you do not do a DO internship, you will not be able to practice in a few states... I forget which ones. Michigan?, etc

a prelim medicine yr is recommended by many people, for good reason.

I did the DO TY and although it was fantastic, it was not as rigorous as it could have been... that being said, many AOA hospitals will work you..

To the OP, what type of programs are you applying to? Advanced? Categorical? Mixed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mixed. Mostly advanced though with maybe 3-4 categorical out of 19 programs.

I think Ohio, Florida, Texas and Pennsylvania are the other states where you require a AOA internship in order to obtain a license. So if you think you might end up in these states and don't want to limit your chances in the future an AOA internship might be your best bet, in my opinion.

I did a AOA internship, and interviewed at quite a few. I think it gave me a great education. Most PD's will work with you and tailor the internship to your interests as much as possible. I had two months of electives and did Neuro, Rheum and Radiology. My other months were mostly medicine with one month each of ER, Surgery and OB. The OB was a requirement. Overall I got a pretty good education and was felt prepared for residency.

Just so you know if you match and AOA internship you will automatically not be eligible to the categorical programs.

Good Luck.

Osteopathic Traditional Intenship programs never fill. If you're not fixed on a specific location and you want to save money and time to have to interview for an internship, then you could consider scrambling into a AOA internship.

Another advantage to this strategy is that this will leave you open to possibly matching into a categorical position, as if you match AOA or ACGME intern/prelim yr, then you're only in for advanced positions.

It's true that a FEW traditional internship programs dont fill, but the scramble isn't as wide open as it used to be. Keep in mind that there are way more osteo students now then a couple years ago because of all the new schools that have opened.