Question on residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bla_3x

Grip it and rip it!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that anesthsiology residency has traditionally involved a pgyI clinical base year and 3 years of anesthesia. Now, I have heard that there is a move toward 4 year catagorical residencies, but I don't know hopw many are going that way.
With the 1+3 programs, how does one do this? Do you match into anesthesia as an MS4, or do you go to a prelim position and match during that year? Do you have to do the pgy1 year at the program in which you will be doing CA1-3? Or, could you match into anesthesia in city X and do your pgy1 year in city Y? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

As an M4, you apply for both your PGY1 spot and your PGY2 anesthesia spot, and interview for both. You can do prelim surgery, prelim medicine, transitional or peds (for some places). Your first year does not have to be in the same city as anesthesia. Some programs offer both categorical 4 year and advanced 3 year positions. Some are only advanced and some are only categorical. Good luck.

Thanks Razorback!!

Members don't see this ad :)
forgive my stupid question, but what does "categorical" mean?

Categorical is the equivalent of a linked intern year. So instead of applying for a prelim year and the 3 year anesthesiology spot, you just apply for a combined intern-anesthesiology 4 year spot. Confused yet? I was. Not a big deal.