• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

bla_3x

Grip it and rip it!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2001
Visit site
Status
I know that anesthsiology residency has traditionally involved a pgyI clinical base year and 3 years of anesthesia. Now, I have heard that there is a move toward 4 year catagorical residencies, but I don't know hopw many are going that way.
With the 1+3 programs, how does one do this? Do you match into anesthesia as an MS4, or do you go to a prelim position and match during that year? Do you have to do the pgy1 year at the program in which you will be doing CA1-3? Or, could you match into anesthesia in city X and do your pgy1 year in city Y? Thanks.

Razorback

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2003
Chicago
Visit site
Status
As an M4, you apply for both your PGY1 spot and your PGY2 anesthesia spot, and interview for both. You can do prelim surgery, prelim medicine, transitional or peds (for some places). Your first year does not have to be in the same city as anesthesia. Some programs offer both categorical 4 year and advanced 3 year positions. Some are only advanced and some are only categorical. Good luck.

bla_3x

Grip it and rip it!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2001
Visit site
Status
Thanks Razorback!!

About the Ads

VentdependenT

You didnt build thaT
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Louisville
www.somethingawful.com
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Categorical is the equivalent of a linked intern year. So instead of applying for a prelim year and the 3 year anesthesiology spot, you just apply for a combined intern-anesthesiology 4 year spot. Confused yet? I was. Not a big deal.

About the Ads