Question on submitting AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dandelf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This is my first post, although I've been using this site for quite some time. Everyone on this site has great advice - keep up the good work!

I am a junior and I am on the fence as to whether or not I should apply this cycle. Up until about two days ago, my intentions were to apply this June and follow the traditional pre-med path. However, since I am taking the MCAT (for the first -and hopefully ONLY- time) in late June, I am leaning towards waiting until my senior year to apply so as to ensure an early application. This plan is still up in the air which is part of the reason I may want to wait...

For everyone that has followed/is following the traditional pre-med path- those who are taking the MCAT their junior year as well as submitting their applications- are you completely comfortable with submitting before receiving your MCAT score? I feel like this is what is holding me back. Or does a good prep necessarily indicate that you will obtain a decent score so that you won't even need to worry?

I am really pushing for an early application. This could definitely be accomplished if I wait until my senior year to apply since I will have the MCAT out of the way. I know that the results from a June 17 exam could potentially be considered borderline-early...but it's not an ideal situation. I guess my issue is not knowing how I will score...What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I took my MCAT in May, in the midst of finals. I waited to submit until I got my scores. When I did that, my application only took 3 days or so to be verified, and I was verified before the applications were sent off to schools. Based on my experiences this cycle, that wouldn't have been the case this year.

I studied for the MCAT the entire semester leading up to it. I'd go to the library between classes and focus either on homework or studying for the MCAT.

So, if you're so concerned about an early application and applying with the 'typical' pre-med track (I'd argue that a year off can do a world of good, but it's not for everyone), why are you taking the MCAT so late in the first place?

I wanted to give myself some breathing room for studying since my finals end late this year and there is about a week and a half during the semester where I will be out of the country on a medical service trip so I won't be able to study- I think subconsciously I want to wait a year to apply, but if I'm going to be studying during the semester anyway, I probably should take it earlier. I also have some great internship opportunities lined up for this summer that could add to my clinical experience. This is just another reason that is keeping me on the fence - I guess I really need to sit down and figure this out! Thanks for the input though - I appreciate it.