Question on Taking MCAT vs. DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeremy713

J713
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am new to this forum, but I had a question about taking the MCAT vs. the DAT for those who may have taken both the MCAT and DAT.

I JUST took my DAT this past Saturday my scores were:
21 Bio
18 G chem
19 O chem
19 TS
20 PAT
18 RC
and 15 QR
AA was an 18 out of 30. (Similar to a 28 or 29 on the MCAT probably)

The good thing about the MCAT is that there is no QR which means no 45 minute high school word problem math section. The only thing is, is that I need to study physics again. BUT, the good thing is, is that I feel like I already have all the knowledge that you would probably need to take the biology, g chem and o chem sections of it. I am still kind of undecided between dental school and medical school so any feedback about ANYTHING of the sort will help me greatly.

Thanks in advance!
-Jeremy

Members don't see this ad.

My friend is studying the DAT, and I took a couple section practice tests for fun, and it almost made me consider another field...lol. In physical sciences and biological sciences on the mcat, you have to pick information out of the passages, and then use common knowledge to answer a lot of questions. The DAT just asks straight questions, which just requires common knowledge. The RC seemed to just ask questions that you could pick right out of the passage, so there was really no need to even read the entire passage. The MCAT will pick a couple paragraphs right in the middle of a novel, and the entire passage has to be read and understood to answer a lot of the questions. I only did RC, GC, OC, and BIO, but from what I saw, there is HUGE difference.

Please don't get bumped out.

Try out some exam passages or better yet a full length exam to make your own assessment, remember opinions all all subjective, you may try an MCAT test and realize it's something you can conquer. I'll say go ahead and try it out!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: