question on the background check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guylewis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What if you can't remember the exact apartment/condo # that you lived in? will the checkers be satisfied with the street address? I'm trying to get a hold of my old roommates to get that specific bit of info but for the life of me I can't remember and I'm not sure if they will remember either (it was many years ago when we lived there).

Members don't see this ad.

Your credit report may have the appropriate apartment number listed on it. The credit bureaus keep track of your addresses for the past several years.

Your credit report may have the appropriate apartment number listed on it. The credit bureaus keep track of your addresses for the past several years.
so I don't have to write it down that specific info then? cuz they'll probably be able to suss it out as soon as they run the background check, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry about the exact apt number as long as the address for all the apartments in the complex was the same. However, you could always look at your free credit report and check to see if the apartment number is listed there. (annualcreditreport.com) Or, ask COMP's admissions office for advice. Old bank records or college records might have it, too.

I'm pretty sure they just ask that question to identified which states and/or counties they should focus their investigation on. As long as you know which states you lived in that is probably sufficient. Either way, I wouldn't really worry about it. The background checks for osteopathic medical schools, at least for mine, are pretty mild. They typically use one of those online companies.

I'm pretty sure they just ask that question to identified which states and/or counties they should focus their investigation on. As long as you know which states you lived in that is probably sufficient. Either way, I wouldn't really worry about it. The background checks for osteopathic medical schools, at least for mine, are pretty mild. They typically use one of those online companies.
yeah very true. I thank the stars every day that I was never the rebel type or ever had any run-ins with the law. I'm guessing these checks are insane for residency applications, huh

yeah very true. I thank the stars every day that I was never the rebel type or ever had any run-ins with the law. I'm guessing these checks are insane for residency applications, huh

There are actually no background checks when you apply for residency. You do, however, need a medical training license, which is issued by your state's medical board, to start your residency. You cannot apply for one until after you graduate from school.

State medical boards' searching capabilities are more vast than most medical schools, and they are willing to truly investigate individuals. Every state is different, though.

I think as long as you're honest on your application medical boards will forgive a lot. People get in trouble when they are being dishonest on their application. Lying on your application is way worse than some crime you committed 5-10 years ago. I've met many people who did dumb things while they were in college (drinking under age, getting into fights, marijuana) and they all got their medical licenses without any difficulties because they fessed up to their crimes. A recent crime, or a long history of criminal behavior, may be another story.

Last edited: