Question - Osteopathic Medical Students studying in UK - is it possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr2006

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are still some funky things about DO students studying abroad - have any osteopaths tried to study in the UK?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Dr2006
I know there are still some funky things about DO students studying abroad - have any osteopaths tried to study in the UK?

No point - Britain does not recognize D.O.'s as physicians. Osteopathy is a four-year undergraduate degree there, they are not called doctor and they do not have medical licenses. Hope that helps.

Check the Osteopathic medicine forum. I was under the same impression as Friendly, BUT their is rumor in that forum of a gastro. dude (DO) who went the UK and did a fellowship as a fully licensed physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now I don't know for sure, but here's my 2p:

Over here Osteopaths are essentially quacks with no regulation (they don't prescribe drugs, don't go to university, aren't regulated (I think - they might have just set up an authority). Osteopathy is considered along with things like aromatherapy etc

However, DOs are proper docs in the US, with MD equivalent training in the US, therefore I don't see any reason why you should have any problems getting accreditation here. You'll have to put MD though, people won't understand DO...

Try asking the GMC what they think.

Osteopathy is a four-year undergraduate degree there, they are not called doctor and they do not have medical licenses

UG degrees here are 3 years long. I stand corrected - I just did a search and you can do Osteopathy as a 4 year degree at all of 4 private (bad sign in the UK) institutions.

Oh, and they have got themselves regulated. Maybe they'll be coming up in the world ;)

Originally posted by FionaS
Now I don't know for sure, but here's my 2p:

Over here Osteopaths are essentially quacks with no regulation (they don't prescribe drugs, don't go to university, aren't regulated (I think - they might have just set up an authority). Osteopathy is considered along with things like aromatherapy etc

However, DOs are proper docs in the US, with MD equivalent training in the US, therefore I don't see any reason why you should have any problems getting accreditation here. You'll have to put MD though, people won't understand DO...

Try asking the GMC what they think.

UG degrees here are 3 years long. I stand corrected - I just did a search and you can do Osteopathy as a 4 year degree at all of 4 private (bad sign in the UK) institutions.

Oh, and they have got themselves regulated. Maybe they'll be coming up in the world ;)

FionaS, "UG degrees here are 3 years long"......so you're clearly thinking exclusively of the system in England, and not Ireland, Scotland or Wales. :) Thanks for taking the time to do the search though.

Have any American D.O.'s successfully worked in the U.K. in a clinical capacity? (not including a fellowship, which is only temporary).

FionaS, "UG degrees here are 3 years long"......so you're clearly thinking exclusively of the system England, and not Ireland, Scotland or Wales.

It's all so true... Sorry everyone! Just my provincial southern english upbringing ;) followed by uni in the midlands - what was I thinking?!

But I suppose I could say that most UG degrees in the UK are 3 years... Unless you happen to be in Scotland, NI or Wales... :oops:

I think it is somewhat possible. I haven't found a formal statement regarding the issues and all I can offer is ancedotal evidence from online sources

http://www.kcom.edu/academia/acdean1.htm

"He received his D.O. degree from the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine in 1973. During his years at KCOM he completed his senior rotations at the University of Sheffield in England ..."

AND

http://www.kcom.edu/alumni/alumnir/alumnus_award/alumnus2000.htm

"Her sister, Emilie Kenney, D.O., '39, followed her to Kirksville, where she married Philip A. Jackson, D.O., '39, a native of Oxford, England. The couple, now deceased, practiced in England and Dr. Carlton said Dr. Jackson once treated The Queen Mother."