QUESTION: PITT or UNC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmz6

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2002
Messages
206
Reaction score
0
u got into pitt already???

mmz6
 

wazzup

New Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2003
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I am facing the same choice. Are u a NC state resident?
 

SunnyS81

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2002
Messages
473
Reaction score
2
UNC....I assume you're instate. Pitt isn't good enough for out of state tuition, unless you're just DIEING to go into surgery. I think the facilities are comparable. Both are great places though.
 

ashkel

Junior Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2004
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
UNC... Since they're both great schools, go for the warmer weather!
 

quideam

Too tired to complain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2003
Messages
1,397
Reaction score
9
UNC is pretty good; not as good as Pitt, but close enough that I would say it's not worth the extra money. Check out their match lists though - UNC students are much more likely to stay in the area.
 

franklinthedog

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2002
Messages
241
Reaction score
0
Pitt has a better reputation and the students there seem happy. Congrats on the Pitt acceptance!
 

Sweet Tea

Girl Next Door
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2002
Messages
8,642
Reaction score
12
UNC!!! Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina! Of course, I may be biased. ;)
 

dhooppi

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2004
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
I'm not dying to go into surgery, but i'm wondering if it would really make a difference between these two schools in terms of residency placements.
 

VCMM414

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2003
Messages
434
Reaction score
3
quideam said:
UNC is pretty good; not as good as Pitt, but close enough that I would say it's not worth the extra money. Check out their match lists though - UNC students are much more likely to stay in the area.

That's because a very large portion of UNC students are in-state. Even though it's a state school, Pitt accepts more out-of-state applicants (probably because Pitt is expensive even for in-state).
 

wickliffe2

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2004
Messages
54
Reaction score
0
UNC rocks...sorry, random outburst...I miss Chapel Hill.
 
Members don't see this ad :)

Sweet Tea

Girl Next Door
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2002
Messages
8,642
Reaction score
12
wickliffe2 said:
UNC rocks...sorry, random outburst...I miss Chapel Hill.

:clap::clap:

hey-- i'm from CH but used to live in Philly! Chapel Hill rocks.
 

SistaKaren

Displaced Tar Heel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2001
Messages
256
Reaction score
0
Sweet Tea said:
UNC!!! Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina! Of course, I may be biased. ;)

You? Biased? I'd never guess! ;)

ooooh, these new boards are awesome!
 

Sweet Tea

Girl Next Door
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2002
Messages
8,642
Reaction score
12
SistaKaren said:
You? Biased? I'd never guess! ;)

ooooh, these new boards are awesome!

You're not so neutral yourself, dearie. ;) BTW, welcome back-- how's NYC?
 

rustybruce

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2004
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
I am an MS4 who had this exact decision 4 years ago and chose UNC over Pitt. First things first. If you are in state at UNC this is not even a decision. Secondly, everyone needs to stop saying things like "go here for surgery or here for ENT or here for PMnR." If you go to a top 20-25 Med school they're almost all the same. UNC and Pitt are both top notch. There's alot more to do in North Carolina (I'm from PA by the way) and the weather's alot better. Couple that with the better tuition and that it's an excellent school and there's your decision. If you are an out of stater at UNC, then you have some serious thinking.

I was out of state at UNC but got in state residency shortly after starting. That has made an unbelievable difference as I owe over 100k less than my buddy at Pitt. Also, the women at UNC are unvelievable. (I don't know your preference)
 

SistaKaren

Displaced Tar Heel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2001
Messages
256
Reaction score
0
Heh, I just had to pop in and have a joke with you! NYC's good. School's better now that we're nearing the end of the year. yay!

As for UNC vs. Pitt -- Heh, I have no idea. I like Pitt's schedule better, but i'm not sure how much that matters. Who knows... they're both good. But in Chapel Hill, there's ACC basketball. I didn't know how much I'd miss it. wah.
 

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2002
Messages
14,562
Reaction score
7,356
dhooppi said:
I'm not dying to go into surgery, but i'm wondering if it would really make a difference between these two schools in terms of residency placements.

No, it won't. Most people who go into med school thinking they wanna do surgery change their minds anyway. The reputation difference between the two is negligable. You'll have the same opportunities to shine at either one. Go to the one that will save you boatloads of cash.
 

southbelle

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2004
Messages
146
Reaction score
0
If I would have applied to another school not in my state, I think it would have been UNC or Duke. UNC seems like a great place to study medicine. I imagine it having a super laid back atmosphere, but I may be wrong. Pitt seems a little gunnerish. I have a feeling the students there talk about the school like their medical education is a mutual fund("it's on the rise"). Not that duke is mentioned specifically in this thread, but I threw it in because you can't beat what is essentially a year off if you choose to get the mph. Just stay away from the 'serious' public policy types who are in there and steer clear of the people taking their year off to build their cv with research and it would be nice.
 

jasonnnK

New Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
rustybruce said:
I am an MS4 who had this exact decision 4 years ago and chose UNC over Pitt. First things first. If you are in state at UNC this is not even a decision. Secondly, everyone needs to stop saying things like "go here for surgery or here for ENT or here for PMnR." If you go to a top 20-25 Med school they're almost all the same. UNC and Pitt are both top notch. There's alot more to do in North Carolina (I'm from PA by the way) and the weather's alot better. Couple that with the better tuition and that it's an excellent school and there's your decision. If you are an out of stater at UNC, then you have some serious thinking.

I was out of state at UNC but got in state residency shortly after starting. That has made an unbelievable difference as I owe over 100k less than my buddy at Pitt. Also, the women at UNC are unvelievable. (I don't know your preference)

I'm curious about how you managed to get in state tuition. I am in state in Texas and I know that many of our out of state students (at least at some schools) end up paying in state tuition. There is some program from the Texas legislature that allows out of state students who receive a competitive scholarship of some minimum dollar amount ($1000/year maybe?) will also get out of state tuition waved. This results in at least some of the schools working really hard to make sure all of the out of state students receive a qualifying scholarship. Are there any states that have any similar programs? This certainly has a big effect on the attractiveness of some out of state schools that I am considering applying to.
 

rustybruce

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2004
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
jasonnnK said:
I'm curious about how you managed to get in state tuition. I am in state in Texas and I know that many of our out of state students (at least at some schools) end up paying in state tuition. There is some program from the Texas legislature that allows out of state students who receive a competitive scholarship of some minimum dollar amount ($1000/year maybe?) will also get out of state tuition waved. This results in at least some of the schools working really hard to make sure all of the out of state students receive a qualifying scholarship. Are there any states that have any similar programs? This certainly has a big effect on the attractiveness of some out of state schools that I am considering applying to.

The process of getting "in-state" tuition isn't easy. Some people show up a year early and work for a year (VERY WORTH IT) and others just show up in late spring, register their car here, buy a house (maybe) register to vote here, and meet the right people (which is easy to do). Those people get in-state usually in the spring semester of first year or soon thereafter.

For those of you who've never been to UNC, it is one of the most beautiful campuses in the nation. The social life is much better than Pittsburgh or Durham or Almost anywhere except a few other college towns and maybe Boston, NYC, SF, and a few others.
 

dhooppi

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2004
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
I am instate and am 99% sure that I will be attending UNC this fall (not for the incredibly hot girls of course :love: )
 

Fermata

Hold me.
15+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2003
Messages
6,617
Reaction score
13
southbelle said:
If I would have applied to another school not in my state, I think it would have been UNC or Duke. UNC seems like a great place to study medicine. I imagine it having a super laid back atmosphere, but I may be wrong. Pitt seems a little gunnerish. I have a feeling the students there talk about the school like their medical education is a mutual fund("it's on the rise"). Not that duke is mentioned specifically in this thread, but I threw it in because you can't beat what is essentially a year off if you choose to get the mph. Just stay away from the 'serious' public policy types who are in there and steer clear of the people taking their year off to build their cv with research and it would be nice.

Huh? Exactly why are you ripping on those who don't want to go into primary care?
 

SunnyS81

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2002
Messages
473
Reaction score
2
I thought the Pitt kids were really laid back...but then again that is the current M2 class. Of all the schools that will rise in rank, I think Pitt has the most potential for improvement. Its definitely a pretty big research place. Lots of surgical stuff was first developed there.

UNC is great though. Its supposed to have one of the cheapest in state tuitions in the country. I think its unfortunate that they don't take more people from out of state because they could definitely attract premiere students from all around.
 

wazzup

New Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2003
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
thanks a lot for all the input, guys. I am a resident of NC, so the in state tuition at UNCv is really attractive. but the facilities and the schedule seemed a lot nicer at Pitt, thats why I am still haven't made up my mind yet. but this thread has been very helpful so far. Thanks!
 

southbelle

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2004
Messages
146
Reaction score
0
Fermata said:
Huh? Exactly why are you ripping on those who don't want to go into primary care?

Huh? I'm not. I'm just not into the whole gunner/improve cv/lets talk about academia all the time atmosphere. There is a big gap between that and doing fp.
 

dhooppi

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2004
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
I'm actually thinking of becoming a prof. in med school after I'm through with training and all that stuff.

Do you think UNC or PItt would make a difference?

Thanks
 

dhooppi

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2004
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
Does anyone know or know where I can the Match rate (top 5 or top 3) for these two schools?

Thanks
 
Top