QUESTION: PITT or UNC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dhooppi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some help here....

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

u got into pitt already???

mmz6

Members don't see this ad :)
I am facing the same choice. Are u a NC state resident?

UNC....I assume you're instate. Pitt isn't good enough for out of state tuition, unless you're just DIEING to go into surgery. I think the facilities are comparable. Both are great places though.

UNC... Since they're both great schools, go for the warmer weather!

UNC is pretty good; not as good as Pitt, but close enough that I would say it's not worth the extra money. Check out their match lists though - UNC students are much more likely to stay in the area.

Pitt has a better reputation and the students there seem happy. Congrats on the Pitt acceptance!

I'm not dying to go into surgery, but i'm wondering if it would really make a difference between these two schools in terms of residency placements.

quideam said:
UNC is pretty good; not as good as Pitt, but close enough that I would say it's not worth the extra money. Check out their match lists though - UNC students are much more likely to stay in the area.

That's because a very large portion of UNC students are in-state. Even though it's a state school, Pitt accepts more out-of-state applicants (probably because Pitt is expensive even for in-state).

UNC rocks...sorry, random outburst...I miss Chapel Hill.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sweet Tea said:
UNC!!! Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina! Of course, I may be biased. ;)

You? Biased? I'd never guess! ;)

ooooh, these new boards are awesome!

I am an MS4 who had this exact decision 4 years ago and chose UNC over Pitt. First things first. If you are in state at UNC this is not even a decision. Secondly, everyone needs to stop saying things like "go here for surgery or here for ENT or here for PMnR." If you go to a top 20-25 Med school they're almost all the same. UNC and Pitt are both top notch. There's alot more to do in North Carolina (I'm from PA by the way) and the weather's alot better. Couple that with the better tuition and that it's an excellent school and there's your decision. If you are an out of stater at UNC, then you have some serious thinking.

I was out of state at UNC but got in state residency shortly after starting. That has made an unbelievable difference as I owe over 100k less than my buddy at Pitt. Also, the women at UNC are unvelievable. (I don't know your preference)

Heh, I just had to pop in and have a joke with you! NYC's good. School's better now that we're nearing the end of the year. yay!

As for UNC vs. Pitt -- Heh, I have no idea. I like Pitt's schedule better, but i'm not sure how much that matters. Who knows... they're both good. But in Chapel Hill, there's ACC basketball. I didn't know how much I'd miss it. wah.

dhooppi said:
I'm not dying to go into surgery, but i'm wondering if it would really make a difference between these two schools in terms of residency placements.

No, it won't. Most people who go into med school thinking they wanna do surgery change their minds anyway. The reputation difference between the two is negligable. You'll have the same opportunities to shine at either one. Go to the one that will save you boatloads of cash.

If I would have applied to another school not in my state, I think it would have been UNC or Duke. UNC seems like a great place to study medicine. I imagine it having a super laid back atmosphere, but I may be wrong. Pitt seems a little gunnerish. I have a feeling the students there talk about the school like their medical education is a mutual fund("it's on the rise"). Not that duke is mentioned specifically in this thread, but I threw it in because you can't beat what is essentially a year off if you choose to get the mph. Just stay away from the 'serious' public policy types who are in there and steer clear of the people taking their year off to build their cv with research and it would be nice.

rustybruce said:
I am an MS4 who had this exact decision 4 years ago and chose UNC over Pitt. First things first. If you are in state at UNC this is not even a decision. Secondly, everyone needs to stop saying things like "go here for surgery or here for ENT or here for PMnR." If you go to a top 20-25 Med school they're almost all the same. UNC and Pitt are both top notch. There's alot more to do in North Carolina (I'm from PA by the way) and the weather's alot better. Couple that with the better tuition and that it's an excellent school and there's your decision. If you are an out of stater at UNC, then you have some serious thinking.

I was out of state at UNC but got in state residency shortly after starting. That has made an unbelievable difference as I owe over 100k less than my buddy at Pitt. Also, the women at UNC are unvelievable. (I don't know your preference)

I'm curious about how you managed to get in state tuition. I am in state in Texas and I know that many of our out of state students (at least at some schools) end up paying in state tuition. There is some program from the Texas legislature that allows out of state students who receive a competitive scholarship of some minimum dollar amount ($1000/year maybe?) will also get out of state tuition waved. This results in at least some of the schools working really hard to make sure all of the out of state students receive a qualifying scholarship. Are there any states that have any similar programs? This certainly has a big effect on the attractiveness of some out of state schools that I am considering applying to.

jasonnnK said:
I'm curious about how you managed to get in state tuition. I am in state in Texas and I know that many of our out of state students (at least at some schools) end up paying in state tuition. There is some program from the Texas legislature that allows out of state students who receive a competitive scholarship of some minimum dollar amount ($1000/year maybe?) will also get out of state tuition waved. This results in at least some of the schools working really hard to make sure all of the out of state students receive a qualifying scholarship. Are there any states that have any similar programs? This certainly has a big effect on the attractiveness of some out of state schools that I am considering applying to.

The process of getting "in-state" tuition isn't easy. Some people show up a year early and work for a year (VERY WORTH IT) and others just show up in late spring, register their car here, buy a house (maybe) register to vote here, and meet the right people (which is easy to do). Those people get in-state usually in the spring semester of first year or soon thereafter.

For those of you who've never been to UNC, it is one of the most beautiful campuses in the nation. The social life is much better than Pittsburgh or Durham or Almost anywhere except a few other college towns and maybe Boston, NYC, SF, and a few others.

I am instate and am 99% sure that I will be attending UNC this fall (not for the incredibly hot girls of course :love: )

southbelle said:
If I would have applied to another school not in my state, I think it would have been UNC or Duke. UNC seems like a great place to study medicine. I imagine it having a super laid back atmosphere, but I may be wrong. Pitt seems a little gunnerish. I have a feeling the students there talk about the school like their medical education is a mutual fund("it's on the rise"). Not that duke is mentioned specifically in this thread, but I threw it in because you can't beat what is essentially a year off if you choose to get the mph. Just stay away from the 'serious' public policy types who are in there and steer clear of the people taking their year off to build their cv with research and it would be nice.

Huh? Exactly why are you ripping on those who don't want to go into primary care?

I thought the Pitt kids were really laid back...but then again that is the current M2 class. Of all the schools that will rise in rank, I think Pitt has the most potential for improvement. Its definitely a pretty big research place. Lots of surgical stuff was first developed there.

UNC is great though. Its supposed to have one of the cheapest in state tuitions in the country. I think its unfortunate that they don't take more people from out of state because they could definitely attract premiere students from all around.

thanks a lot for all the input, guys. I am a resident of NC, so the in state tuition at UNCv is really attractive. but the facilities and the schedule seemed a lot nicer at Pitt, thats why I am still haven't made up my mind yet. but this thread has been very helpful so far. Thanks!

Fermata said:
Huh? Exactly why are you ripping on those who don't want to go into primary care?

Huh? I'm not. I'm just not into the whole gunner/improve cv/lets talk about academia all the time atmosphere. There is a big gap between that and doing fp.

I'm actually thinking of becoming a prof. in med school after I'm through with training and all that stuff.

Do you think UNC or PItt would make a difference?

Thanks

Does anyone know or know where I can the Match rate (top 5 or top 3) for these two schools?

Thanks