question, plz help =)

Discussion in 'Financial Aid' started by dr kevin40, Jul 14, 2002.

1. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

what if ur parents are pretty wealthy, but don't want to pay for ur tuition at all?

would one still qualify for financial aid?

2. KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member

If you are going to graduate/professional school, then you are considered independent and your need will be based on your income not on your parents. I never qualified for any type of aid during my undergrad years, but for my first year of medical school I have zero expected family contribution. Hope this helps :).

3. analu

analu Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

That's true, although I've heard that some institutional loans and grants require financial info from your parents, regardless of your independent status.

Having said that, I have a friend whose doing his transitional year now...he has a wife and 3 kids, and he got lots of financial aid during med school---despite his father being Chief of Anesthesiology at a local hospital!

Aloha

P.S. Hi KyGrlDr2B, I see you got your avatar working...cute, though I kinda miss your old one---a prairie dog or chipmunk???:)

4. KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member

Thanks Analu :). The old one was a squirrel, I loved that thing hahaha. The new one is my new kitty Lexie. :D

5. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks u two. puts my mind at ease a lil=)