Question Re: Georgetown SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chucktown

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the course schedule for the Georgetown SMP and noticed that some courses are listed as going from 8/11-9/5 (just made this up as an example). Does this mean that you don't take all those classes at the same time? The course schedule makes is seem like you are only taking 2 or 3 classes at the same time, each 3 or 5 credit class only lasting a month or so. Is this the case?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, this is called a block schedule. Pros and cons with it. It's all cram. But you get DONE with stuff and move on. Whatever the first block is will be a huge adjustment, and then you apparently get used to it.

I was looking at the course schedule for the Georgetown SMP and noticed that some courses are listed as going from 8/11-9/5 (just made this up as an example). Does this mean that you don't take all those classes at the same time? The course schedule makes is seem like you are only taking 2 or 3 classes at the same time, each 3 or 5 credit class only lasting a month or so. Is this the case?

Midlife is right, it is a block schedule... Our first class this year was Molecular and Cellular Physiology...

Although the way they have organized it is NOT just cram and move on. Had they taken Physiology and crammed it into a month I would agree, but instead they just took everything and jumbled it up. So you have some biochem, microanatomy, and some physiology... Its not bad, we basically have a test every two weeks.

If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer as best I can as a student in the program. Feel free to check out my blog too, I've been trying to write about what it is like to be in the program.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool, thanks alot DrJD, your blog has been very useful and a good read...I didnt realize there were so many postbacc students in that program...one other question, I am a non-science major and won't be taking any sciences other than the pre-reqs, will this hurt me in terms of background knowledge for the SMP's classes?

Cool, thanks alot DrJD, your blog has been very useful and a good read...I didnt realize there were so many postbacc students in that program...one other question, I am a non-science major and won't be taking any sciences other than the pre-reqs, will this hurt me in terms of background knowledge for the SMP's classes?

Yes and no... You do not need to have taken extra science classes per say, and if you study hard you can perform just as well as other students who have. That being said you are competing against the medical students average for your grades and many of them were science majors in undergrad, so they will have a more firm foundation upon which to build.

Don't stress out about it, but just be aware that the students you are competing against may have a better foundation than you so you will just need to work that much higher. If you could squeeze in a Biochemistry class I would recommend it because the first two classes in the SMP are heavy in biochem, and your first semester grades are big in you being able to get in during your year here. If you can't no big deal, just come prepared to work!