Question regarding activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimhawking

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I need advice. I graduated in 2021 and I am on my second gap year. I have 3 research experiences with poster and award and one publication but my authorship is literally last like 6th author. I was wondering if I need a pub to do well in the next cycle when I apply? Would it hinder me if i do not have one? And would it be ok since i did not publish as first author if i talk about that experiecne in terms of poster, conference and the publication as a result instead of just citing the pub?
And also, my gpa is a 3.86 with 2k clinical hrs 700 nonclinical hrs and i am taking my mcat in january?
thank you so much for your feed back i feel like a wreck and mess rn

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Publications are not a necessary part of an application. Clinical and non-clinical activities are valued are all medical schools.
I see thank you. I have one publication but i am a 6th author. i did a couple posters and one conference for one of the research activities. appreciat the insight

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone I need advice. I graduated in 2021 and I am on my second gap year. I have 3 research experiences with poster and award and one publication but my authorship is literally last like 6th author. I was wondering if I need a pub to do well in the next cycle when I apply? Would it hinder me if i do not have one? And would it be ok since i did not publish as first author if i talk about that experiecne in terms of poster, conference and the publication as a result instead of just citing the pub?
And also, my gpa is a 3.86 with 2k clinical 700 nonclinical activites and i am taking my mcat in january?
thank you so much for your feed back i feel like a wreck and mess rn
@LizzyM @Goro can I get your feedback please?

@LizzyM @Goro can I get your feedback please?
ECs are great. Contrary to popular pre-med delusions, one does not need to have a first author cell paper to get into medical school. In fact it is rare for premedical students to get any sort of publication.

Reactions: 4 users
ECs are great. Contrary to popular pre-med delusions, one does not need to have a first author cell paper to get into medical school. In fact it is rare for premedical students to get any sort of publication.
Really Goro?! thank you so much! It wouldnt look bad that i have 2 gap years? I have sustained the activites thruout my gap years. also i have one pub but i am a 6th author should I mention that in the app?

Really Goro?! thank you so much! It wouldnt look bad that i have 2 gap years? I have sustained the activites thruout my gap years. also i have one pub but i am a 6th author should I mention that in the app?
Nobody cares about the length of time of Gap years, only about what you learned and did during that time.

I believe that there is a place in applications for publications, so mention it there.

Reactions: 1 users
Nobody cares about the length of time of Gap years, only about what you learned and did during that time.

I believe that there is a place in applications for publications, so mention it there.
I really appreciate your insight and advice. Thank you so much. Have a great week!

Unless you are applying MD/PhD, you should not worry so much on publications. Why are you not applying rfor a esearch MS or PhD?
Thank you so for med it is not absolutely necessary? I have just seen so much on premed reddit that if you take a gap year you should have a pub. it feels awful.

Thank you so for med it is not absolutely necessary? I have just seen so much on premed reddit that if you take a gap year you should have a pub. it feels awful.
Who is telling you this? Unless you are going for a research career or focus, a publication is not necessary. Now explaining your work would be a good idea to practice. Why did you do this. And why is the work important?

Reactions: 2 users
Nothing shabby about 6th author. List it on the AMCAS application unless you have 15 more important experiences/activities. Take reddit with a grain of salt.
Thank you very much. I am thinking of writing it under the one research activity description in amcas that includes our work leading to a poster, conference, award at school, and publication? What do you think of just including it as part of the description?
Many thanks

Who is telling you this? Unless you are going for a research career or focus, a publication is not necessary. Now explaining your work would be a good idea to practice. Why did you do this. And why is the work important?
Someone on reddit said that me working as a med assistant, tutoring, and doing some leadership was not enough over 2 gap years that i should have a pub or 2.

Someone on reddit said that me working as a med assistant, tutoring, and doing some leadership was not enough over 2 gap years that i should have a pub or 2.
They are entirely incorrect.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you very much. I am thinking of writing it under the one research activity description in amcas that includes our work leading to a poster, conference, award at school, and publication? What do you think of just including it as part of the description?
Many thanks
I would recommend specifically separating it. It is likely you can combine one of your other 15 activities to open up a slot for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Many thanks
Nope! If a reviewer is looking for publications, don't make them dig for it. Use a slot for publication(s), a slot for presentation(s), a slot for research. If you won a huge award (only one given within the US) then show "award" otherwise fold that into the research slot.
That leaves at least one slot each for for hobbies/sports/music, etc and slots for non-clinical volunteering, shadowing, clinical experience, teaching/tutoring, etc.

Reactions: 3 users