Question regarding application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calizboosted76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was curious if I should count making the deans list (in the activities section under awards/recognition)?
Also, I became a Father during the third to last semester of my Bachelor degree, should I count this as an activity?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there,

First off, love your picture! Fellow House MD fan I see?

Second, you could mention your Dean's list, but I mentioned it ALONG with other scholarships/awards (and no, I'm not saying this to brag), but it is common to combine awards/scholarships as 1 of your 15 possible activities, so the AdComs can see other aspects of you.

Third, when you say Father, I'm assuming it is the religious position? For some reason, I initially read it as the "dad" in the household. It honestly depends on whether or not becoming a "father" influenced you on your path to medical school, because you'll need to describe it in the work/activities (and MMEs). If it has played a role on your path to medical school, I say put it in there. If not, I would not advise you to put in it there due to lack of relevance. It can be seen by the AdComs that you are trying to buff up your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello there,

First off, love your picture! Fellow House MD fan I see?

Second, you could mention your Dean's list, but I mentioned it ALONG with other scholarships/awards (and no, I'm not saying this to brag), but it is common to combine awards/scholarships as 1 of your 15 possible activities, so the AdComs can see other aspects of you.

Third, when you say Father, I'm assuming it is the religious position? For some reason, I initially read it as the "dad" in the household. It honestly depends on whether or not becoming a "father" influenced you on your path to medical school, because you'll need to describe it in the work/activities (and MMEs). If it has played a role on your path to medical school, I say put it in there. If not, I would not advise you to put in it there due to lack of relevance. It can be seen by the AdComs that you are trying to buff up your application.

No no no, I did mean "dad" I have seen others add it to their application I just didnt know if this was normal or not haha. You have an awesome pic too!

Members don't see this ad :)
No no no, I did mean "dad" I have seen others add it to their application I just didn't know if this was normal or not haha. You have an awesome pic too!

Haha, in that case, congratulations on the new addition to your family! I hope he/she hasn't been causing too much nuance in your lives. I have never seen "dad" being added in, but it'll definitely make your application a lot more interesting!

Haha, in that case, congratulations on the new addition to your family! I hope he/she hasn't been causing too much nuance in your lives. I have never seen "dad" being added in, but it'll definitely make your application a lot more interesting!

Haha thank you! I have seen a couple people mention they added being a parent to their applications. I just dont know if I should or not because in the section to add it, theres an end date and Idk what I would put for that haha.

I have seen a couple people mention they added being a parent to their applications. I just dont know if I should or not because in the section to add it, theres an end date and Idk what I would put for that haha.
It seems to be the predominant opinion on SDN that one should not include it. I don't agree with that, personally, and some enter it anyway and do fine.

The farthest out you can enter any end date is Aug 2021.