• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Question regarding application

HouseJC

If nobody hates you, you're doing something wrong
2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2019
New Orleans
  1. Medical Student
Hello there,

First off, love your picture! Fellow House MD fan I see?

Second, you could mention your Dean's list, but I mentioned it ALONG with other scholarships/awards (and no, I'm not saying this to brag), but it is common to combine awards/scholarships as 1 of your 15 possible activities, so the AdComs can see other aspects of you.

Third, when you say Father, I'm assuming it is the religious position? For some reason, I initially read it as the "dad" in the household. It honestly depends on whether or not becoming a "father" influenced you on your path to medical school, because you'll need to describe it in the work/activities (and MMEs). If it has played a role on your path to medical school, I say put it in there. If not, I would not advise you to put in it there due to lack of relevance. It can be seen by the AdComs that you are trying to buff up your application.

Reactions: 1 user

Calizboosted76

SDN Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2017
  1. Medical Student
Hello there,

First off, love your picture! Fellow House MD fan I see?

Second, you could mention your Dean's list, but I mentioned it ALONG with other scholarships/awards (and no, I'm not saying this to brag), but it is common to combine awards/scholarships as 1 of your 15 possible activities, so the AdComs can see other aspects of you.

Third, when you say Father, I'm assuming it is the religious position? For some reason, I initially read it as the "dad" in the household. It honestly depends on whether or not becoming a "father" influenced you on your path to medical school, because you'll need to describe it in the work/activities (and MMEs). If it has played a role on your path to medical school, I say put it in there. If not, I would not advise you to put in it there due to lack of relevance. It can be seen by the AdComs that you are trying to buff up your application.

No no no, I did mean "dad" I have seen others add it to their application I just didnt know if this was normal or not haha. You have an awesome pic too!

About the Ads

HouseJC

If nobody hates you, you're doing something wrong
2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2019
New Orleans
  1. Medical Student
No no no, I did mean "dad" I have seen others add it to their application I just didn't know if this was normal or not haha. You have an awesome pic too!

Haha, in that case, congratulations on the new addition to your family! I hope he/she hasn't been causing too much nuance in your lives. I have never seen "dad" being added in, but it'll definitely make your application a lot more interesting!

Calizboosted76

SDN Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2017
  1. Medical Student
Haha, in that case, congratulations on the new addition to your family! I hope he/she hasn't been causing too much nuance in your lives. I have never seen "dad" being added in, but it'll definitely make your application a lot more interesting!

Haha thank you! I have seen a couple people mention they added being a parent to their applications. I just dont know if I should or not because in the section to add it, theres an end date and Idk what I would put for that haha.

Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
  1. Attending Physician
I have seen a couple people mention they added being a parent to their applications. I just dont know if I should or not because in the section to add it, theres an end date and Idk what I would put for that haha.
It seems to be the predominant opinion on SDN that one should not include it. I don't agree with that, personally, and some enter it anyway and do fine.

The farthest out you can enter any end date is Aug 2021.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.