question regarding approved schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wellwisher05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am confused regarding schools being state approved or not.
I have checked the schools approved in California, and most
international medical schools even in places such as Afghanistan,
Pakistan, India, middle east are approved.

So if I am correct, graduates from these schools can practice
in this state, as long as they pass the exams?

I was looking at carribean schools, and I saw
Ross, and St. George on the approved list.

I checked Medical School of Americas, and it is
only approved in New York. Does this mean that,
if I graduate from this school I can only do my
residency and practice in New York and not
any other state in the United States?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It varies by state.

Some states require you to be on an approved list, some states only require you not be on a disapproved list.

California is such that if the school is not on the approved list, then you cannot be licensed in California.

New York I believe is the same way.

The answer above is correct. It varies by state. California is the strictest. Only 4 Caribbean schools are approved (Ross/Saba/SGU/AUC). Imho, if you can't get into one of these 4, then reconsider the Caribbean option. There is a risk that other states will all adopt the California list (a few states already have).

Members don't see this ad :)
So...my colleague got accepted to a fellowship at a well-known school in California, but when she went to apply for her license, she found that her school was on the 'disapproved' list.

Has ANYONE ever dealt with this before? Is there any way she can get a fellowship license so that she can simply train there and leave after she's done with her fellowship? She's already completed a residency as of this month.

Cali requires a full license for everyone beyond the PGY-2, I believe. I doubt there is any way around this. She needs to look for a fellowship/job in another state.