Question regarding California licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pistachio85

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'm a sixth year pharmacy student in NJ and I want to know how I can get a license in california.
Thru my school I will have completed about 1400 hours from my rotations. but I hear california only accept 600 hours from rotations. So how can I fulfill the rest? I've been working at walgreens for over 2 years. can any of those hours count?
 
NJ does not log intern hours at the state level as there is no "intern license" (as far as i know) so whatever hours you are earning now will not transfer and are being done in vain.

You'll have to a) earn intern hours outside of NJ under an out-of-state license (PA, NY, DE, etc...) OR practice as a full pharmacist in NJ for one year and reciprocate your NJ pharmacist license to CA to avoid the intern hour requirement.
 
NJ does not log intern hours at the state level as there is no "intern license" (as far as i know) so whatever hours you are earning now will not transfer and are being done in vain.

You'll have to a) earn intern hours outside of NJ under an out-of-state license (PA, NY, DE, etc...) OR practice as a full pharmacist in NJ for one year and reciprocate your NJ pharmacist license to CA to avoid the intern hour requirement.

ding! correct answer confetti we are def. the resident experts on this topic

OP: a fellow rutgers alum like myself? good idea to get out of NJ, thats what i did (practiced in NJ for a year then did reciprocity)
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ding! correct answer confetti we are def. the resident experts on this topic

OP: a fellow rutgers alum like myself? good idea to get out of NJ, thats what i did (practiced in NJ for a year then did reciprocity)

haha, it was between talking to you and looking for jobs in NJ (an subsequently licensure information, or lack thereof) that turned me into an expert.
 
Curious. If you apply for a residency in California (or any other state for that matter), you have to be a licensed before you start your residency. I'm guessing if you don't have these intern hours, you pretty much can't do a residency there? I'm a P1, so sorry if this sounds stupid. I'm interested in going to California for residency since my boyfriend lives there right now.
 
Curious. If you apply for a residency in California (or any other state for that matter), you have to be a licensed before you start your residency. I'm guessing if you don't have these intern hours, you pretty much can't do a residency there? I'm a P1, so sorry if this sounds stupid. I'm interested in going to California for residency since my boyfriend lives there right now.

Generally yes, you have to be licensed to do a residency in CA. Most of the ones I've seen allow a grace period through September/October of your residency year to get your license (July 1 start date). It would depend on the residency site, however.

I haven't seen any that don't require a license. The closest would be the VA which requires a license from any state, so that's your loophole right there if you go to school in NJ and get an NJ license, that will allow you to practice in the military and the VA system.
 
ding! correct answer confetti we are def. the resident experts on this topic

OP: a fellow rutgers alum like myself? good idea to get out of NJ, thats what i did (practiced in NJ for a year then did reciprocity)

agreed! NJ/PA/DE/NY area is supersaturated. it is good you are looking to leave there. CA is also (from what I hear but I don't know exactly).
 
o goodness, from NJ/NY to CA? yeah, that's not a great decision if you're thinking jobs will be 'easier' to get.
 
o goodness, from NJ/NY to CA? yeah, that's not a great decision if you're thinking jobs will be 'easier' to get.

depends...there's TONS of jobs in CA in the 909, central valley, and inland areas.

just goodluck if you're trying to find a job in newport beach, west side LA, or san diego (ie places you associate with california).

at least it sets you up for a reverse commute if you live in the 2nd set of cities above but work in the first set i listed.