MA/MS Question regarding LPC program/GpA 2.0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oxdl

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all, I understand this column is for psyD and PhD, but the LPC/MSW forum is so cold that I see the threads in there rarely get replies, I'm just trying to get many responses as possible, if the administration still wants to move this thread it's ok!
I want to introduce my situation first:
I'm currently a 5th year of graduating senior, will be graduated by next month, with a cumulative GPA probably 2.2 and a major GPA 2.0. And I'm trying to get into graduate program, and I aim at LPC program.
The reason I got such a low GPA was because I had very severe personal situation from freshmen to Junior year, the freshmen-sophomore year were more related to my mental health issue(terrible family situation contributed), and my Junior year had a traumatic car accident(almost died)....yes very unlucky of my life, so my grades never looked good. I then had trouble of not able to graduate, so after I did my best to recover from all that and I started to pull my GPA up so to allow me to graduate at least.
I have been denied by one LPC program(our schools'), I only applied to one.

I have spoken with my major counselor, and she currently wants me to focus on finishing up the remaining classes so that I could ensure myself receive diploma, then maybe I could ask her again for the advice of my current situation in trying to apply for future LPC program. I will also talk to counselor from our school's career center by next Monday, so now I'm just posting this up and see if y'all have any suggestions for me.
I really do love psychology, and want to continue my career into related field. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

other information about me:
-23 yrs old in 2018
-undergraduate school isn't prestigious, regular 4 year, small regional institution
-I think I have potential and capability to be a qualified LPC one day

Please help! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If an early educational experience occurred that resulted in a highly different level of performance that might be a point in your favor at some point down the road. Your advisor has good advice of trying to finish now and think of the other things later. This last-two year GPA as a helpful point is especially true if those grades are highly discrepant from your current GPA then that is something to highlight. You are 5th year student. When did your grades turn around and what is your academic performance since that time? However, I am concerned that with a major GPA of 2.0 and an over-all GPA of 2.2, your grades are likely not extremely different or that your overall performance was not strong enough to supplant that poor sense of confidence from your general GPA. You said a car wreck in your Junior year led to bad grades, but if you were enrolled in class and did not withdraw medically for a semester, then the assumption that is a bit harder to buy. It would also be hard to argue your grades suffered for a full year. If you finish this semester (or finished any semester in the last 2-3 years since your personal issues) with less than a 3.5 GPA then you are doing yourself a major disservice to being able to make the argument that you can perform well academically when those circumstances are not there.

Reactions: 1 user
Though master's programs have more forgiving admission criteria than doctoral programs, you still have a lot to overcome in your academic record. I would suggest you look for employment in a mental health setting where you can acquire some experience and make sure this is the right field for you. With a strong employment record in the field, and a good GRE score (which can help make up for a low GPA), you may be able to convince an admissions committee that you are prepared for graduate-level study.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools may look at an upward trend or base admission on the last 60 credits, but many will have a cut off of at least a 2.5 cumulative or 3.0 in last 60credits. Another option would be to rock out the GRE. Even if the school does not require it, it is often still considered when looking at admission. Best of luck.

I think you honestly will have a tough time getting into a LCPC program with that GPA. I graduated with a 3.98 and still didn’t get into every program I applied to. I echo the suggestion to get some experience in a clinical setting as a job. Or if you can take some post-baccularuate classes to show you have the ability to get better grades, that may be helpful. My concern is your GPA is so low that is doesn’t really fit the idea that you had one bad semester.
To be frank, I am not confident you would even get an interview to have the chance to make a great impression on the admissions committee. Many programs will not even look at applicants with GPAs that low. Perhaps your advisor can make some suggestions.

Some schools may look at an upward trend or base admission on the last 60 credits, but many will have a cut off of at least a 2.5 cumulative or 3.0 in last 60credits. Another option would be to rock out the GRE. Even if the school does not require it, it is often still considered when looking at admission. Best of luck.

If you perform great on the GRE but have an abysmal GPA, I am not sure it would be enough. The GPA shows the trend over time while the GRE is just a snapshot.

If you perform great on the GRE but have an abysmal GPA, I am not sure it would be enough. The GPA shows the trend over time while the GRE is just a snapshot.
I agree, I wasn’t trying to say it would replace their GPA, but could be an additional tool to help build their application. However, with a cGPA and major GPA below a 2.5 or 2.75 many doors will likely be closed without some post bacc work demonstrating ability to be successful in their coursework.

I agree, I wasn’t trying to say it would replace their GPA, but could be an additional tool to help build their application. However, with a cGPA and major GPA below a 2.5 or 2.75 many doors will likely be closed without some post bacc work demonstrating ability to be successful in their coursework.
I agree some post bacc classes would be helpful. I know some schools by me allow you take them as a non-degree student.

I also agree that post-bac coursework will be necessary, but I think that will also hurt the OP that this is very recent coursework and that his/hear major GPA is actually lower than his/her cumulative GPA, indicating poor performance in psych classes. Masters programs really like clinical experience, so that's important to have as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you all for replying under this thread! My comment in here probably won't be seen by most of you, but great thanks to you all. I have just finished the last exam today and now I'm back to the forum for suggestions.
I kind of don't want to go deeper of why I did not have a consistent good GPA throughout my college life, but anyway it only shows that I'm incapable and this is also the only concern that I want to focus on working to improve it, instead of telling stories of why I had such and such troubles of not able to present a strong consistent GPA.
But anyway, I will still keep trying to find a way and get to where I want to be.