Question regarding my mom's eye.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

farleyisgod

you big dummy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope this is the right forum to post this in.

My mom came home from work early because the right side of her right eye had turned blood red - this isn't just a "pink-eye" sort of red, it's very red. We called our physician (waiting for a response), but I was wondering if any of you guys have thoughts on what it could be. She said her vision is fine, but there's a burning sensation.

Hopefully, it's nothing serious.
Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Redhawk said:
I agree. Without recent trauma, vision loss, surgery, or other symptoms, then this is likely a subconjunctival hemorrhage. It's hard to diagnosis stuff over the internet without an evaluation. Thus, I recommend that your mom see her physician or local eye doctor (optometry or ophthalmology).

The reason why I say that is this:
I was on call and received a call from an optometrist for a consult to see a moderate myopic patient with new, asymptomatic subconjunctival hemorrhage. I routinely dilate both eyes on all new patients. The patient had a mac-on retinal detachment in the other eye! The subconj hemorrhage was a red herring in this case, and the patient was predisposed to retinal tears with a long-history of moderate myopia. In retrospect, I am glad I dilated both eyes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Redhawk & Andrew-
Thank you guys so much... :) Her eye looks like the second picture, but the redness is only in about less than half of it. I'm kinda embarassed to have been worried, haha.

She's got an appointment with the opthamologist tomorrow afternoon at 2:00, but I can sleep a little easier tonight (which is definitely a good thing considering the hell that awaits me Saturday morning :scared: )

Goodnight!

I wouldn't be embarassed. I'm sure it would have freaked me out before I had started studying ophtho. :)

Andrew_Doan said:
I was on call and received a call from an optometrist for a consult to see a moderate myopic patient with new, asymptomatic subconjunctival hemorrhage. I routinely dilate both eyes on all new patients. The patient had a mac-on retinal detachment in the other eye! The subconj hemorrhage was a red herring in this case, and the patient was predisposed to retinal tears with a long-history of moderate myopia. In retrospect, I am glad I dilated both eyes.

You mean an OD sent a patient to you for a subconjunctival hemorrhage...........YIKES!!! What kind of ****** is he? :(

TomOD said:
You mean an OD sent a patient to you for a subconjunctival hemorrhage...........YIKES!!! What kind of ****** is he? :(
He did the right thing in retrospect. The OD knew the patient had a history of moderate myopia and a distant history of retinal tear in the same eye with subconj heme. Although the patient didn't have s/s of a RD, he wanted me to check it out.

It was strange that the RD was in the normal eye. I don't blame anyone for referring. We're all human, and it's good to get help occasionally.

No, I agree. You did a great job.

But I'm concerned the OD didn't dilate and look himself (evidently?) He should have found the detachment and THEN sent him to you, I would hope. I think this OD is a quack and shouldn't have a license. I just couldn't imaging referring someone for a sub conj hem.

No big deal. It's just OD's like like this that irk me to no end. :cool:

By the way, I had a similar incident recently with a kid that hit in the right eye playing basketball. He had mid-peripheral commotio retinae in the right eye and a peek in the other eye revealed a large chorioretinal scar microns from the macula. His acuity was 20/20 with no symptoms. We don't know where the scar came from.

It's a good moral, what you say. Always remember there are 2 eyes :) You never know.