fn7909

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2005
12
0
Status
I have a question that I would like to ask but at first I need to inform you about my academic status;

My major is chemistry and I will receive my BA in June of 2006. I am planning to go to medical school after I receive my undergraduate degree. I will take the MCAT in April of 2006 and I will send out my primary application in June of 2006. I am applying to medical schools for Fall of 2007. There is one year gap from the time I get my BA in chemistry, till I get admitted to the medical school.

Here is my question. What would you recommend me to do during this one year gap? because I was thinking about the master degree in public health, does anyone know if this is a good path?
Your advise will be appreciated
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,684
6
Status
Medical Student
fn7909 said:
I have a question that I would like to ask but at first I need to inform you about my academic status;

My major is chemistry and I will receive my BA in June of 2006. I am planning to go to medical school after I receive my undergraduate degree. I will take the MCAT in April of 2006 and I will send out my primary application in June of 2006. I am applying to medical schools for Fall of 2007. There is one year gap from the time I get my BA in chemistry, till I get admitted to the medical school.

Here is my question. What would you recommend me to do during this one year gap? because I was thinking about the master degree in public health, does anyone know if this is a good path?
Your advise will be appreciated
Work in a medical field. Medical schools don't like it if you start a graduate degree and don't finish it.
 

nerdgrrl

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2003
193
0
37
Vallejo, CA
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
fn7909 said:
I have a question that I would like to ask but at first I need to inform you about my academic status;

My major is chemistry and I will receive my BA in June of 2006. I am planning to go to medical school after I receive my undergraduate degree. I will take the MCAT in April of 2006 and I will send out my primary application in June of 2006. I am applying to medical schools for Fall of 2007. There is one year gap from the time I get my BA in chemistry, till I get admitted to the medical school.

Here is my question. What would you recommend me to do during this one year gap? because I was thinking about the master degree in public health, does anyone know if this is a good path?
Your advise will be appreciated
If you can find a one year degree program, and you're actually interested in public health, it's a good idea. otherwise, find a job in a clinic, hospital, or research setting.
 
About the Ads

supersash

so what's an epitope?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2005
504
0
37
NJ/LI
Status
Medical Student
i would try to find a one year program, and also work in a medical type job. this way, if you dont get into med school the first time around, you already have another degree to fall back on, plus you have all those new grades to submit when re-applying!

this is what i'm doing, i graduate in may 2006 too. where do you live, and how are you stats? if u dont mind my asking.
 

HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
2,586
16
The Lone Star State
Status
Attending Physician
I would go the 1 year Master's Program/work in a lab combo. I'd try to get some research out of that as well. Only problem is that you will not have the grades from your Master's Program on your ACOMAS.
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,684
6
Status
Medical Student
HunterGatherer said:
I would go the 1 year Master's Program/work in a lab combo. I'd try to get some research out of that as well. Only problem is that you will not have the grades from your Master's Program on your ACOMAS.
Although research is good, clinical experience is much more important for osteopathic medical schools.

Research would be more helpful if you were applying to allopathic medical schools.
 

Doctor Bagel

so cheap and juicy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2002
10,919
1,127
from the ministry of information
Status
Attending Physician
unless you have lots of money, i'd just get a job. medical school already requires a ton of money, so why add $20k or more for some one year program? try to get something clinical, and you're good.
 

HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
2,586
16
The Lone Star State
Status
Attending Physician
I'm working on the clinical research part so decided not to mention clinical experience. I can't imagine a hospital job I can get with my biochem degree that is going to pay my bills so I'd have to concentrate on school/work.


OSUdoc08 said:
Although research is good, clinical experience is much more important for osteopathic medical schools.

Research would be more helpful if you were applying to allopathic medical schools.
 

DODO

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2004
107
0
California
Status
If GPA is good, why take more classes? Just get a job like other's said. It would probably be good to get a break from classes and stuff like that.
 

nerdgrrl

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2003
193
0
37
Vallejo, CA
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
exlawgrrl said:
unless you have lots of money, i'd just get a job. medical school already requires a ton of money, so why add $20k or more for some one year program? try to get something clinical, and you're good.
listen to this. I'm going to max out on my federal loans third year because of my masters. granted, it was a degree I actually wanted, rather than something to get me into medical school, so I think it was worth it. but think seriously about a masters. if you're only doing it to get into med school, don't do it.
 

Doctor Bagel

so cheap and juicy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2002
10,919
1,127
from the ministry of information
Status
Attending Physician
nerdgrrl said:
listen to this. I'm going to max out on my federal loans third year because of my masters. granted, it was a degree I actually wanted, rather than something to get me into medical school, so I think it was worth it. but think seriously about a masters. if you're only doing it to get into med school, don't do it.
yep, me too. :) if i go to dmu and keep my scholarship for all four years, then i might just barely wind up underneath that $189k cap. with other schools, it'd be all private for the fourth year and some of the third year. so, yeah, don't take those staffords for granted.
 
About the Ads