question regarding ophthal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemonpeel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in ophthalmology for residency, but have heard that the job market is not great for ophthalmologists. Does anyone have comments about it? I am just worried that I will have a hard time finding a job when I get out of the residency. Thanks for any input!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Right off, I'm not in medical school yet, but I know quite a bit about this field. My dad is an OD so obviously we do a lot of work with ophthalmologist. I'm hoping to go into this field because of the potential market and my clear connection. As the babyboomers start getting gray, the optical (as well as all of med.) industry will be in very high demand. I suspect a need for more ophthalmologist. Cataracts are going to be in everyone of them, not to mention the number of AMD victims.

Then of course there is that whole laser thing. I do urge all those in this field to consider not focusing there practice on laser correction. This aspect of med. is getting way to commercial. Not to mention the boredom of doing such a "simple" surgery all day. The money may be good, but that is not worth it to me.

To answer question, I think the field will be alright. If you can't find a job, you do have the option to create your own practice.

Good luck!

Don't worry about the market. There are jobs every where, and there's more than just cataract surgeries. The field is full of procedures, lasers, and interventions.

Go into the field if you like it. All my friends are getting awesome jobs!