Question regarding pre-health committee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfsup207

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I will be applying to osteopathic schools this coming June and had a question regarding the pre-health committee letter of recommendation. The committee at my school has very strict deadlines to which materials must be submitted. I completely understand this and have met all of the deadlines so far. However, I have been waiting on a couple of letters of recommendation, as I feel that they will be much stronger after more class time/research. Thus, I will not meet the deadline to submit them to the committee if I wait, which I think is the best option for stronger letters. I really do not want to delay an entire cycle just because of this, but I also understand the importance of the committee letter. I was just wondering if anyone could recommend going ahead and applying without the committee and requesting the letters of recommendation on my own time rather than rushing them. Or, will this be detrimental to my application as a whole? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I will be applying to osteopathic schools this coming June and had a question regarding the pre-health committee letter of recommendation. The committee at my school has very strict deadlines to which materials must be submitted. I completely understand this and have met all of the deadlines so far. However, I have been waiting on a couple of letters of recommendation, as I feel that they will be much stronger after more class time/research. Thus, I will not meet the deadline to submit them to the committee if I wait, which I think is the best option for stronger letters. I really do not want to delay an entire cycle just because of this, but I also understand the importance of the committee letter. I was just wondering if anyone could recommend going ahead and applying without the committee and requesting the letters of recommendation on my own time rather than rushing them. Or, will this be detrimental to my application as a whole? Any input is greatly appreciated!

I would talk to your pre med committee and see if they can make an exception. The committee letter is definitely a big plus. If the members of your committee are halfway decent people I think they'll make an exception to help you apply when your application is the strongest possible.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I was unable to receive a Committee letter due to similar circumstances. I ended up asking for individual letters and I don't think it hurt my application. I would take the advice of the others and talk to your pre-med committee. However, I think you will do just fine as long as your individual letters are strong.

Why don't you ask your pre-med committee about this?
Thanks for the reply. I asked and was told that there was no guarantee that the letter received after the deadline would be included in my pre-health committee file for consideration.